SUV flips over on Lincoln Avenue

A Jeep SUV flipped over after hitting another vehicle late Friday afternoon, just west of Ninth Street on Lincoln Avenue.

Neither the drivers nor the passenger of the vehicles were injured in the accident.

Charleston Police Officer Tony West said the SUV was traveling west on Lincoln Avenue when it crashed into a car turning north on Ninth Street.

West said the accident happened when the light was yellow.

The force and angle of the collision caused the vehicle to crash, he added.

Seat belts were worn by passengers in both vehicles, which probably helped prevent serious injury, especially in the SUV.

“Had he not worn a seatbelt, he could have been ejected, crushed or worse,” West said.

The intersection at Ninth Street, and Lincoln Avenue is no more prone to accidents then other intersections in the city, West said.

Accidents are usually minor, and seldom are there personal injuries, West said.

Randy Stuff, owner of Wea Ink, located at the northwest corner of the intersection, said he was with customers when he felt the collision in his store and ran outside to see what happened.

He saw the driver of the SUV, who made it out of the vehicle on his own, and told him not to get up.

Other witnesses were already calling 911.

Police officers diverted westbound traffic onto Ninth Street while towing crews removed the vehicles from the scene.

Westbound traffic on Lincoln Avenue reopened by 5 p.m.

No citations were immediately issued, but West said police needed to verify stories with witnesses before any could be issued.

Matt Hopf can be reached at 581-7945 or at [email protected].

SUV flips over on Lincoln Avenue

SUV flips over on Lincoln Avenue

Charleston police and paramedics were on the scene of the accident that occurred on the corner of Ninth and Lincoln Avenue on Friday afternoon. (John Bailey / The Daily Eastern News)