Biggest winners announced

Kevin Schmidt had no set weight goal when he joined the Biggest Winner program other than to continue what he already started.

Schmidt, a junior management major, began losing weight 15 months ago and has since lost 128 pounds, 25 of those during the Biggest Winner program.

The 10-week nutrition and exercise program had its final meeting last night and awarded its greatest achievers. Prizes were given to the male and female with the top body fat percentage loss, the most nutrition and physical activity presentations attended, along with the most workout sessions attended.

Schmidt took the prize for the male with the most weight loss.

During the 10-week period, participants were encouraged to attend eight nutrition and physical activity presentations and eight workout sessions. Students, faculty and staff were eligible for the program.

“It wasn’t too difficult. I just kept going,” Schmidt said. “The biggest problem was moving into an apartment this year and eating whenever, whatever I want.”

The program also allowed participants to set their own weight loss goals and aimed to educate them about nutrition and exercise.

While Schmidt was in the program he worked harder to implement a more nutritious diet for himself.

“I rarely ate fast food and changed my bread from white to wheat,” he said.

In week one, 67 people joined the program. By the second week only 17 remained.

In the end there were 12.

Being in the Biggest Winner program has kept Schmidt on track with both his short-term and long-term goals.

“Eventually I want to become a biathlon biker and runner. It’s a good goal for about five years from now I want to go run some biathlons,” Schmidt said.

“For right now, I’ll just keep working out and eating right,” he said.

The participants that made it the end of the program accomplished what many signed up for and could not finish.

Dawn Wilcox, nutrition coordinator at the Health Education Resource Center, oversaw the Biggest Winner program, said juggling between school and the program made it hard for participants to continue.

“We wanted to help the participants make a lifestyle change by giving them the skills and knowledge so they can keep eating healthy and exercise,” Wilcox said.

Biggest winners announced

Biggest winners announced

Kevin Schmidt, junior management major, listens to other winners being announced after recieving the top male performer award during the final meeting of the Biggest Winner on Nov. 16.The Biggest Winner allowed students and faculty to compete in a “Bigges