Music is wind players’ life

Sharon Walker’s life would be incomplete without music.

Walker, a sophomore music education major, is the flute principal for Eastern’s Wind Symphony. However, she didn’t start out with the instrument.

“I started piano in the third grade, and begged my parents to allow me to take flute in the fourth,” Walker said. “I’m not sure what initially got me into music, but I can easily say my life would be incomplete had I never picked up an instrument.”

This is Walker’s second year as flute principal, and she has high expectations for the Wind Symphony’s performance at 7 tonight in the South Gym of McAfee Gym.

“We’re going to blow the roof off McAfee,” she said.

Although Walker can’t pinpoint how her interest in music began, Charity Carls can.

Carls, a senior music performance major, has been a baritone saxophone player for Eastern’s Wind Symphony for two years and was inspired to play music after watching “The Simpsons.”

“I just thought that Lisa Simpson was the coolest girl ever because she played saxophone and I guess that’s what initially made me want to play sax,” she said.

Carls and Walker have been practicing with the other Wind Symphony players since the second week of school.

“We pretty much jumped right into it,” said Walker.

The symphony will perform four songs: “Daydream” by Timothy Mahr, “Blue Shades” by Frank Ticheli, “Mangulina” by Paul Basler and “After You’re Gone” by Creamer & Layton.

The group has been practicing these songs during its rehearsals on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 11 a.m. in McAfee’s North Gym. They also have dress rehearsals before each performance.

Rehearsals began after the Wind Symphony auditions from Aug. 21 to Aug. 23.

“You’re required to audition on a pre-picked etude by Dr. Allen the first week of school. Your audition determines two things; if you get into the ensemble, and your chair placement,” Walker said.

The Wind Symphony expects a fairly large turnout for the concert.

“I think a lot of people will come to hear us,” Carls said. “I think people like what we are accomplishing and want to hear more of us.”

Music is wind players’ life

Music is wind players life

Members of the Eastern Wind Symphony practice on Sept. 28. The symphony has 45 members most of whom audition to be performers in the ensemble, which will be performing at 7 tonight in the south gym of McAfee. Nora Maberry/On the Verge