Tri-Delts take a dip

The Delta Delta Deltas made a splash.

Unfortunately, it was into the frigid Campus Pond.

Alpha Gamma Delta beat the Tri-Deltas in the women’s tug division to move on to Friday’s semifinals.

The two teams battled for 1 minute, 8 seconds before the Alpha Gams hauled the Tri-Deltas into the water.

The Alpha Gams have been training for the past three months and said they used one particular method: abstinence from drinking for a month.

The team said they believe this tactic helped their chances of winning.

Big Men victors who will be competing on Friday include Sigma Phi Epsilon who beat Pi Kappa Alpha, and Delta Tau Delta who effortlessly beat Alpha Tau Omega in less than a minute.

Little Men’s category frontrunners include Sigma Chi, who pulled the Delta Sigma Phi team into the lake in less than a minute as well.

Lambda Chi Alpha beat Delta Sigma Pi who will be competing against Sig Ep, who beat Sigma Nu.

Sigma Pi, who will tug against Sigma Chi on Friday, defeated Delta Tau Delta.

As for the women’s division, Alpha Phi drenched the Delta Zeta team and Alpha Sigma Alpha confidently pulled the Alpha Sigma Tau women into the lake.

Amy Gaydo, of the Sigma Sigma Sigma team, said her team was extremely happy with their win against Kappa Delta.

Tri Sigma beat the Kappa Deltas in an exciting round in about one minute.

“It is absolutely beneficial to begin practicing for the event months in advance,” Gaydo said. “We started with weeks of conditioning and pulled against light poles to gain endurance.”

Spectators said this was a fun round to watch.

There was an audience consensus that the Alpha Gam match against Tri-Delta was the most exciting of the day.

“It was a tough win,” said Lauren Pratscher, member of the Alpha Gam team.

She said it is unfortunate that teams have to endure losses in the first round of Tugs.

“(Tri Delta) did awesome for only having competed in the event twice,” she said.

Pratscher said she has participated in Tugs since her freshman year and her team has placed the past three years.

“We are really looking forward to this weekend; it will be fun,” she said.

Joel Rodarte, a senior business management major and coach of the Alpha Gams Tugs team, said he has been training the team since January.

They did full cardio exercising and full tugs against his Sigma Pi team.

“(Coaching this team) has been the most gratifying thing I’ve ever done in my life,” Rodarte said.

Tri-Delts take a dip

Tri-Delts take a dip

Dave Keyes, student vice president for academic affairs, of Delta Tau Delta cheers on the little men tug team of Delta Tau Delta. The little men lost their tug match on Wednesday at Campus Pond. (Nora Maberry/The Daily Eastern News)