Student candidates debate issues

Only two actual debates took place at Thursday’s Student Government debates.

Candidates vying for positions presented their platforms to students Thursday night.

The Student Government debates allowed candidates to answer questions from moderators Kevin Anderson, a political science professor, and Emin Nabiyev, a political science graduate student.

Candidates also answered three questions for the audience members.

The first debate was between Levi Bulgar and Kent Ohms, the candidates for student executive vice president.

Ohms opened saying that he has the experience and the dedication to lead the Student Action Team and serve the students on the Board of Trustees.

He also stressed that the student voice should be separate from the university.

Bulgar emphasized that he has the passion for the job and wants to make a real difference.

Registering students to vote in elections and bringing political candidates to debate on-campus is what Bulgar said he wants to accomplish, if elected.

Both candidates said increased funding from the state is necessary.

The state tells the university to do more, but doesn’t increase funding, Bulgar said.

Instead of developing quality programs for students, there are meetings to decide where cuts can be made, he said.

Ohms pointed out that the state is not fully funding state mandates.

The state veteran grants are under-funded and the state is offering little money to install sprinklers in the residence halls.

The only other position that was debated was student vice president for business affairs.

Leah Pietraszewski and Gabriela Garcia, candidates for student vice president for business affairs, explained what they would bring to the position.

Garcia told the audience that she would make sure that the budget would be managed efficiently and effectively and would work to make the Student Government more diverse.

Pietraszweski said that she knows how to reach students and wants to show students where their money is going.

While Garcia pointed out her knowledge of how to manage a budget, Pietraszewski made it clear that it should be spent on what the students want.

There was supposed to be a third debate between student vice president for student affairs candidates Rich Higginbotham and Crystal Perez. However, Perez did not attend the debate.

Higginbotham did speak to the audience about his goals of increasing participation of students for Panther Service Days and creating a freshmen council.

Cole Rogers, candidate for Student Body President, and Alison Kostelich, candidate for student vice president for academic affairs, also spoke.

Rogers presented his ideas in creating campus traditions and increase scholarship and grant opportunities.

Kostelich wants to continue the Student Teacher Interaction Program and develop a cultural awareness requirement.

Elections are Monday and Tuesday and results will be announced at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Student Senate meeting.