Concert Order Causes Confusion

Friday night performers did not appear on the University Grand Ballroom stage during the intended times.

Originally, the show’s lineup was to have Brad Curtis, a junior political science major, open, followed by Sleeping Past Ten and then Elsinore would end the night. However, miscommunication led to a different show.

The reason for the new line up, which was Elsinore, Curtis and Sleeping Past Ten, was the result of a misunderstanding between the organizers and bands.

Elsinore did not know that other bands were performing until a couple of days before Friday, and they had planned to play from 8 to 9 p.m.

The sound guy for the band had other obligations and had to leave around 9

p.m. so Elsinore had to be bumped up, said Pat Lamorte, the mainstage coordinator for the event.

Lamorte said the reason Elsinore did not know of the other bands was because he was unsure if the other two performers were going to sign up.

Elsinore played at 8 p.m. for crowd of about 200 people and was pleased with the show.

“It makes us feel like we are doing the right thing with our lives right now,” said Ryan Groff, lead, guitar and vocals for the band. “Tonight proved to me that people will stay loyal to our band.”

Sleeping Past Ten members were disappointed about not performing at the intended time.

The band advertised for the show with the use of flyers, but they had the original show time of 8:45 p.m. on it, which ended up incorrect.

“We’ve had much better shows,” said Sean Kelly, rhythm guitar and vocals.

Kelly said he wanted to apologize to those who missed their show because of wrong timing.

Members also did not understand why there was a clashing of genres – Sleeping Past Ten can be classified as rock, Curtis as acoustic rock and Elsinore as americana/Folk/Rock.

“It’s kind of like wearing football pads on a basketball court,” said Michael Braswell, lead guitar and vocals for the band.

Despite the mishaps, Sleeping Past Ten went with the flow, performing at 10 p.m. after Curtis to a flexible audience.

“Charleston is a fun place to play,” said Travis Cooper, drummer.

Chris Stanfield, bass player and vocals, added, “I had fun playing at the show and thanks to the people for coming out.”

Kelly too appreciated the crowd especially two who showed their enjoyment of the music by singing and jumping along.

Aarron Coleman, sophomore recreation administration major, normally does not jump to the music but the band’s music inspired him to get moving.

“I got the sweat pouring off of me,” he said after the show adding that he really felt the energy in the music.

Jarrett Stanfield, 2006 graduate in recreation administration, also jumped along because he really likes the band and its music.

“I think they’re getting better,” he said.

Both Stanfield and Coleman liked how Sleeping Past Ten worked in original music along with cover bands like Weezer, Blink 182 and Green day.

The two were not the only fans at Friday’s show. Fans showed up for both Elsinore and Brad Curtis showing their appreciation for the performers. A professor even showed up to see Elsinore and even danced around the ballroom.

Nancy K. Farber, assistant professor of counseling and student development, has been a fan of Elsinore’s for a while and even considers Groff to be a professor.

“Ryan was my professor of guitar,” she said.

Groff taught Farber guitar after she called him last summer looking for a musical output.

“She wanted to have something outside of teaching,” Groff said.

He enjoyed that Farber comes to many of the band’s shows and dances along with the music.

“She’s the official Charleston Elsinore dancer,” Groff said.

Even people who were not fans showed up and become ones after seeing the show.

Rachel Morgan, sophomore music education major, never saw Elsinore before but fell in love after hearing the harmonized a capella.

“I’ve never heard them before, but I think I’m in love,” she said. “It’s cool to see a young band do that.”

Morgan and her friends came to see Curtis and enjoyed his show as well.

Janell Wargo, sophomore communication studies major, liked that Curtis plays mostly original music and was even glad to hear him play her favorite song

“Can’t help it.”

Dana Wyant, junior communication studies major, also like his originality after seeing him last year at Jackson Avenue Coffee.

It was neat to see a current Eastern student play at the show along with the other bands, she said.

Curtis was glad to play at the show and although his entire band could not be there he had a good time.

“I think I did pretty well. A few hiccups but that is to be expected,” Curtis said about playing alone.

He, like other groups, entertained the crowd with jokes, but he also related to students by talking about things they might have experienced too.

“If people aren’t enjoying themselves that’s not what I set out to do,” he said.

Concert Order Causes Confusion

Concert Order Causes Confusion

Lead singer and guitarist of Elsinore, Ryan Groff, plays a song during their set at the Grand Ballroom in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union on Friday night.