What’s Lou gonna do?

Eastern President Lou Hencken didn’t just sit in his office and watch the students return on Move in day. He sat in a golf cart giving students rides around campus and helping them feel welcome on their first day. But the question is will Lou be here next year? Earlier this summer, he said will know for sure if he is retiring by August.

“For the last 39 years, every August I get excited for the upcoming school year,” said Hencken. “The way I am is about the first of August I start looking out there and saying, ‘I really miss seeing students walking by here.’ If all of a sudden I look out there and say, ‘Oh my gosh they’re coming back,’ then it’s time for me to go.”

Hencken may announce his decision this Friday at a special Board of Trustee’s meeting.

The President faced a similar decision last year when the Board of Trustees offered him a one-year contract extension.

“Last year when the board extended the contract, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do this,” said Hencken. “But I still do have the energy, I know I have another year.”

But whether he has any years beyond that is a question Hencken currently does not have an answer to.

“I have to be totally immersed and excited about this job,” said Hencken. “And the questions is whether or not I have the energy level to keep it up.”

History at Eastern

Hencken’s energy level has allowed him to serve Eastern for 40 years.

He began his career at Eastern as a resident hall adviser, then a graduate assistant and then as resident hall director.

Hencken was residence hall director for three years. During this time, beer and wine was not allowed in the residence halls.

“I would go to the store and buy a six pack of soda, it would be put it in a bag,” said Hencken. “Everyone would tease me saying, ‘Hey Lou, we know what you have in there,’ and about the third year those jokes stopped being funny and I realized I didn’t have the enthusiasm for the job anymore.”

When he realized his enthusiasm was waning, Hencken resigned from his job.

“I actually resigned in October of that year, then sure enough the job for assistant director of housing opened up here,” said Hencken.

Hencken has worked as associate housing director, assistant housing director and was named director of housing in 1975. In 1989, Hencken was named associate vice president for student affairs. In 1992, he was named vice president for student affairs. In 2001, Hencken was named Eastern’s president when Carol Surles resigned due to health reasons. A national search was conducted in the fall of 2001 but was deemed unsuccessful. In 2003 the search was scheduled to continue but was canceled due to concerns over the state revenue and preparing for the university’s 10-year reaccredidation review. Hencken’s contract was extended again in April and expires on June 30, 2007.

The reasons why

This is not the first time Hencken has contemplated retirement during his 40-year tenure at the University.

“I’ve been thinking about retiring for 10 years,” said Hencken.

The question Hencken asks himself when deciding whether to retire from the University is always the same. Does he have the enthusiasm for the job?

“Do I have the enthusiasm?” said Hencken. “I take this job seriously and think that I have to take students and do the best job I can so people don’t get cheated.”

Doing the best job he can means dedicating himself 24 hours a day to Eastern.

“It is a 24 hour and seven day a week job,” said Hencken. “Someone asked me in the spring what my plans were and I said don’t ask me now.”

Hencken did not want to answer the question in April because he said that springs are the most difficult time for a university president.

“That’s when you’re in Springfield and fighting for dollars, and the past couple of years there haven’t been a lot of dollars,” said Hencken. “In the summer you get regenerated, the fall is a great time because people are excited.”

While fall is an exciting time for Hencken, he admits that recently his excitement has lowered for participating in certain events.

“There is no question about it,” said Hencken. “There are some things, that all of a sudden, are just a chore.”

Hencken’s work schedule is another factor in his decision.

“Last year I worked 42 days in a row and that just wears you out,” said Hencken.

After retirement

If Hencken does choose to retire, he said he would finish out his term and then transition into teaching.

“In my contract it states I can teach part time for three years, said Hencken. “So I won’t go from running to sitting down.”

Hencken said that after he retires from Eastern he is looking forward to traveling.

“I am looking forward to travel and doing some other things, said Hencken. “But who knows what will happen.”

One thing that will not happen is Hencken spending all his time improving his golf game. “I definitely don’t want to go home and play golf in the morning and then wonder what I am going to do,” said Hencken. “So when I do retire, I will have some other things to do other than just play golf.

Advice to future presidents

While Hencken would have to stay far away from any future presidential searches, he did have a clear idea of what traits a president should have.

“As a president, the most important job is working with people,” said Hencken. “I would hope that when they do look for a president, they look for someone with people skills and if you have people skills just about everything else works.”

When ever Hencken does decide to announce his retirement, whether it be this year or years from now, he has a clear vision of what that announcement will include.

“Whenever I announce that this will be my last year everyone will hear that this is what I want to do, I want to raise this amount of money, I want to finish this building, so people we see I have these goals and I’m working on them. “

“People are going to remember how I left as president, not the fact that I opened Stevenson tower or what a great job I did,” said Hencken, “but they will remember how I leave.”

What’s Lou gonna do?

Whats Lou gonna do?

Eastern President Lou Hencken speaks to Illinois Girls State. Hencken will hold a special board of trustees meeting August 25.