Local gardeners hurt by heat

With forecasts predicting a summer heat wave across the country and rising temperatures, the summer’s extreme heat makes it difficult for area gardeners and Steve Malehorn, manager of the Thut greenhouse, to keep up.

Temperatures in almost every state coast to coast were expected to reach highs in the 90’s according to the Associated Press. Frequent irrigation becomes vital for a plants survival during the summer time.

“Watering in the summer is essential to keep the plants from dying,” said Malehorn.

Malehorn emphasized the importance of a gardener taking time to study the behavior of a plant according to the climate. There are over 3,000 species in the Thut greenhouse alone. A garden of such vastness requires landscapers to spend three hours or more maintaining it.

“It isn’t a case of watering the plants everyday, but to learn what the plants need,” said Malehorn. “Each plant has its own personality.”

Because of extreme climate changes, Malehorn discourages gardeners from cultivating new plants during the summer.

“Plants are best put in the spring when it is cooler,” said Malehorn. “In the summer, it is not a good time to put them in because the heat and the ground are dry. It takes a lot more work.”

Gardening adds beauty and flavor to a person’s yard. For those seeking to become horticulturist, make gardening an educational experience not only themselves, but for observers as well.

“Landscaping provides variety and change,” said Malehorn, “Plants provide a learning experience.”

Local gardeners hurt by heat

Local gardeners hurt by heat

Steve Malehorn, manager of the Tuft Greenhouse on seventh street, waters some plants. Malehorn cares for the plants in the greehouse 365 days of the year and must give each individual plant specific attention. “Each plant needs individual attention. It