Charleston prepares for new sidewalks

Over a million dollars is being spent on sidewalk construction projects this year, including Polk Avenue, Second Street and Division Street.

Kurt Buescher, director of Public Works, said last year was design year for the sidewalks and this year is the construction year.

The three main projects include, Polk Avenue, from Division to Sixth streets; Second Street, from Sixth to Division streets; and Division Street, from Harrison to State streets, said Buescher.

Mayor John Inyart said that replacing the old sidewalks is an on-going process as they also widened several of the streets in Charleston.

The new sidewalks have been completed on Polk Avenue. The project on Second Street will be started in July, said Buescher.

Buescher also said, the sidewalk construction could last until October 2006 but at the latest all the projects, including road widening and resurfacing, will be completed by Thanksgiving of 2006.

Inyart said all of the construction would be finished before the first snow this year.

The money to pay for the construction comes from the Motor Fuel Tax. This is the tax on the sale of gasoline that Charleston residents pay, said Inyart.

Buescher said, “The biggest benefit will be having nice new streets compared to the dilapidated streets that have been there for years.”

Charleston prepares for new sidewalks

Charleston prepares for new sidewalks

Kyle Hatton,a sophomore physical education major, walks home from Fourth Street and Polk Avenue on Monday afternoon. Walking commuters must walk in the streets until the sidewalk construction is complete.