The influential women of Coles County

Walking into her house, light music plays in the background. A puppy barks upon noticing a stranger’s entry. This may sound like a typical household; however, someone special resides here.

That person is one of the Top Ten Most Influential Women in Coles County. She is Betty Coffrin, the Coles County Clerk. She has a long history in politics that started the moment she left high school.

“I knew I wanted to get out on my own, making money, so I went to the guidance counselor,” Coffrin said. “I actually had a job with the FBI doing clerical work before I graduated.”

Coffrin actually has never been unemployed. She has been working for her parents, Reese and June Johnson, ever since she can remember for their restaurant, Swissvale.

“I moved up from washing dishes to waiting tables,” Coffrin said.

It was her parents who instilled many values in her. She continues to look at them for guidance in many ways.

“My parents believe in hard work and always keeping your word,” Coffrin said.

Coffrin has passed the lessons she has learned to her son, Corey, 35. Mr. Coffrin is a sergeant in the Secretary of State Police. He was 14 when his mother first ran for the office of the clerk.

‘It might have been hard, but (Corey) was very good about it,” Coffrin said. “He didn’t cause any trouble around the town.”

Serving Coles County wasn’t something that came easy to Coffrin. She wasn’t certain in her abilities when she started.

“It was something I didn’t know if I could do, but my late husband was a great help,” Coffrin said. “He never wanted to be out there, he just supported me through it.”

Eastern is also in the jurisdiction of Coffrin. She likes to see students involved in voting.

“I take pride in the fact that we always work with student government,” Coffrin said.

Coffrin has served Coles County for 35 years, with 20 of those being an elected official. On November 30 she will step down as county clerk, but there is not much of a chance of slowing down.

“I have a realtor’s license, and I also like to do yard work,” Coffrin said. “I also have two grandsons who think I have ‘grandma magic’.”

Coffrin is also excited by the future that women hold in today’s world.

“As far as Hillary Clinton goes, the media’s doing all the campaigning for her,” Coffrin said.

Jim Ingram, Douglas County Clerk, has worked with Coffrin for 18 years.

“She is an excellent teacher,” Ingram said. “She has an amazing way of teaching you how to do things on your own.”

Ingram took his office first in 1990, and Coffrin was one of the first he turned to.

“I could never repay her for everything that she has done both for me and for Coles County,” Ingram said. “Whenever there are black clouds, she can take them away.”

Ingram also knows Coffrin on a more personal level.

“She makes a mean jelly, and if you are lucky you will get one as a Christmas gift,” Ingram said.

The influential women of Coles County

The influential women of Coles County

Coles County Clerk Betty Coffrin has served Coles County for 35 years. Coffrin oversees elections, is the recorder of deeds, and clerk to the Coles County Board.