Other colleges allocate money for their RSOs

Currently, Recognized Student Organizations at Eastern do not receive any money from the university.

This, however, is not the case for several other state universities.

Larry Ward, newly-elected student vice president for business affairs, said many other state universities allocate money to RSOs.

“I know (the) University of Illinois does,” he said.

In fact, U of I students are required to pay a semesterly $10 Student Organization Resource Fee that goes toward financing RSO programs and activities, according to the resource Web page.

Though the fee is refundable, “a small percentage of students request their refund,” said Trish Saelens, assistant director of the resource fee organization.

RSOs at the U of I can apply for funding at six periods throughout each semester in addition to a summer period, the Web site said.

The money is allocated for programs and events put on by members of student organizations, Saelens said.

For example, funding is provided for RSO events such as multicultural activities, special speakers and travel expenses for various competitions.

When deciding which events to fund, the fee organization board considers additional funding sources for the event and whether the event will be available to all students, the Web site said.

The RSO funding has “provided student activities for the campus; it’s provided educational opportunities for students within organizations,” Saelens said.

Illinois State University has more than 250 RSOs that are currently eligible for funding, according to the university Web site.

Beginning with Fiscal Year 2004, the Office of Student Life and Student Government Association will implement a new RSO Program Fund to allow only RSOs to apply for funding.

In a February 2002 issue, The Daily Egyptian, Southern Illinois University’s student newspaper, said “more than 300 Registered Student Organizations are funded through a campus activity fee.”

Likewise, Northern Illinois University’s Student Association Constitution states RSOs are entitled to money from the university.

The Constitution states a power of the senate is “to appropriate allotted monies and other benefits to Student Association-recognized student organizations.”

Eastern wants to change the state of the university’s RSOs.

The five newly- elected Student Government executive members plan to take part in supporting Eastern’s Recognized Student Organizations through the creation of a Student Leadership Council.

Though the executive members endorse the leadership council as vital to strengthening and uniting campus organizations, it still has to be created.

A challenge posed by the council will involve money from the Apportionment Board being given to the Student Government for the purpose of RSO funding.