RHA sets goals for rest of year

A Residence Hall Association with a renewed sense of purpose met Thursday in Andrews Hall to discuss plans for a new academic year.

RHA approved a measure to sponsor a contestant to represent the organization in this year’s Homecoming King competition. Brian Buesing, an RA at Stevenson and RHA’s representative in the contest, said he is not fazed by the dominance of Greek organizations in past competitions.

“It’s been traditionally overrun by them,” Buesing said.

“It gives me more of a reason to want to go out there and change things a little, show them that it isn’t just all about the Greek system.”

RHA members made additional plans for Homecoming decoration, a fall retreat at Camp New Hope in Mattoon, and approval of an approximate $11,000 budget for the coming year.

Stina Heldmann, vice president of RHA, said she is excited about the organization’s opportunities in the coming year.

“I am most interested in the committees,” she explained. “Campus Perk is a huge committee we have Thursday nights in the Thomas Hall basement, with open mic night every other week. Occasionally, we get bands to come play.”

She listed the Homecoming and Student Senate endorsement committees as other high-profile concerns.

Mark Hudson, director of housing and dining services and an RHA adviser, is a firm believer in the group’s vigorous commitment to Eastern’s student body.

“They’re the student voice of the residents, so if we want student opinions, we go to them,” he said.

“They hear things their residents are talking about,” Hudson explained, “and they tell us what’s on their minds and give us recommendations on how we can make things work well for them.”

Heldmann said she is encouraged by this year’s strong start.

“We’ve got a great exec board, a ton of people coming out to the meetings,” she said. “It’s started off really great.”