Workshop to help students explore majors

Students who are perplexed about choosing a major can attend “Directions,” an informational seminar, which will inform students about the intricacies of different disciplines at Eastern.

“Directions” will be held Monday from 6 to 7:15 p.m. in the Charleston/Mattoon Room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Almost 10 percent of undergraduates in fall 2001 had yet to decide a major, Eastern’s Institutional Studies Office records said.

With an assortment of 53 majors and 43 minors to choose from at Eastern, students may need assistance in narrowing the choices.

“Directions” is designed to do just that.

Esther Wittsman, the keynote speaker, said the seminar is intended to guide students who are frustrated with making such an important decision.

Wittsman said that the workshop is a “great opportunity to receive information about the different majors offered.”

A forum of about 12 students will lead the seminar.

“Each student will speak for about 5 to 7 minutes about their individual major choices,” Wittsman said.

Topics discussed will range from how these students chose their major to the curriculum involved in each field of study.

The speakers will also reveal any surprises, positive or negative, they have come across so far, Wittsman said.

“‘Directions,’ has been held annually with a general turnout of about 16 to 30 students,” Wittsman said.

Previous workshops have asked attendees to fill out a student evaluation following the program.

“The student evaluations have shown that students found it to be informational,” Wittsman said. “They also enjoyed hearing it from a student viewpoint rather than from adults.”