Paper’s insert demeans women, stereotypes

In last Thursday’s The Daily Eastern News, you included a glossy, letter-sized insert ad that featured the words, “Hey Mister, I really like your daughter …” These words were beside an image of a female wearing a bikini and standing/dancing behind what resembled open venetian blinds. I found this ad very demeaning and insulting to women. It is this type of an ad that perpetrates gender stereotypes and does nothing to promote respect for women. The words, “Hey Mister, I really like your daughter …” have connotations that women are property. Furthermore, the image of women standing/dancing behind what looked like open venitian blinds resembles an image of a woman dancing at a strip bar. I would like to request that you show better judgment in your selection of ads, more respect for women on this campus and a little more sensitivity to the damage gender stereotyping, in both media and society in general, inflict upon women. What kind of message are you trying to send to the campus population?

Ann B. Hudson

Graduate, secondary education major