Shuttle Bus crash may have been caused by mechanical problem

A “possible malfunction” in mechanics on one of Eastern’s shuttle buses may have caused Tuesday night’s crash, which injured one student.

Nancy Houchin, of H&H Transportation, said Wednesday that there is “a good possibility there was a malfunction on the bus,” which led to bus hitting two parked cars.

According to Houchin, the bus, driven by employee Bill McElwee, was heading south on Sixth Street between 7:15 and 7:30 p.m. when it hit two parked cars near the 700 block of Sixth Street, just south of The Square.

The only passenger, Eastern student Kunyu Zhou, a marketing major, was taken to Sara Bush Lincoln Health Center, treated and released the same night, Houchin said.

The driver is “fine” and H&H was able to get another bus “up and running” 30 minutes after the accident, Houchin said Wednesday.

The “Bluebird” shuttle bus is now in service to take the place of the bus that crashed Tuesday.

Charleston Police said they had not yet received reports Wednesday, the incident is under investigation.