COLUMN: What in the world is a ‘real’ job, from a writer’s perspective

Ashanti Thomas

The other day I was chatting with a few people I knew, and we fell on the topic of what we wanted to do in the future. 

Since I was a kid, my response has always been, “I want to be a writer.” 

It has never wavered or changed. Even when I was an education major, I said writer before teacher. 

I had this idea that one day I would be teaching in elementary school, and I would pull out a children’s book with my name on the cover and get to read it to my class. 

I still have that option, but I became more focused on young adult fiction once I changed to an English major. 

I also want to preface that this is the first time I have been asked what I wanted to do after graduating this past December, and they had no idea I have an actual degree in English and creative writing. 

So, when I was asked and responded with my usual “I want to be a writer,” it was met with confused faces. 

They asked me where I thought that was going and what I wanted to do if it fell through, which, I have to say, hit me a bit hard. 

I explained to them that I loved the idea of being able to create new worlds and have people immersed in a story that came from my head. 

Again, “What if it falls through? Are you getting another degree? What do you want to do as a real job?” 

That is what gets me. 

Growing up I was told by people, “Writing is not a real job.” What does that even mean? Real job? Are there jobs that are inherently fake? 

Now, I want you to take a second and think. When you think English major, do you think they make a lot of money? 

Probably not. There is a common misconception that English majors are not moneymakers. 

In reality, English is one of the most versatile majors. People need writers whether they are technical, professional or even creative. While you do not need an English major to do these things, it seems strange that a major based on honing these skills is not seen as “real.” 

Before I went to college, I wanted to be an English major, which led to people consistently telling me I needed to find something else that would make me money. 

As a high school student, I was worried about this and ultimately changed to another career path. Obviously, I got back on my own track. 

Though, with a major that makes me happier than any other, I still feel looked down on by others. I also know I am not the only one who feels this way. I decided to conduct a small survey among my classmates in the English department and ask if they had ever been told that writing was not going to make them money. 

Out of the 15 people I asked, an astounding 100% said yes. 

That is just 15 people. I bet if I asked writers or any English major out there, a good majority would say yes. I know some people get the utmost support from family and friends, so it would not be a 100% every time. 

I also want to say, I am not just saying English majors have a rough time compared to others because I give props to every major out there. 

College is a tough thing to go through and whatever major you choose can be difficult. I would not dare touch a pre-med class or even a theatre class so kudos to those who love what they do. 

However, I want to understand why writing creatively or even writing in general as a main job is seen as not being “real.” As a creative writer, yes, it is hard. Not everyone is going to be a J.R.R. Tolkien or the writer of the next “Harry Potter.” 

But you read things every day whether it is books, the news or even BuzzFeed articles. 

So, when it comes to jobs, apparently “real” or “fake,” it does not matter if you have a degree in it or if you make tons of money. 

What matters is that you are happy with what you do. 

Kierstyn Budz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].