What the @$#!%? did you say?

What makes a curse word a curse word?

Profanity is a tool used to either be expressive in a statement or to emphasis a point. Some think twice before using it, while others find it pleasant to use that language.  

Matthew Inverso, a psychology professor, said that swearing is often used as an outlet for stress.  

“Sometimes you need the emphasis to say this was more than just ‘they made a mistake,’ but this is ‘they f—– everything up,’” Inverso said.   

The appropriate use of profanity depends on the situation. Profanity has the potential to improve someone’s mood or speed up the communication of ideas.  

Krystal Aquino, a freshman biological science major, believes using profanity could improve communication.  

“You can try to be elegant but it’s like no. Sometimes you’re just tired and want to get it over with and that can be pretty powerful in itself,” Aquino said.   

Paola Cuatepitzi-Rojas, a senior early childhood education major at Eastern, believes swear words tend to be inappropriate. 

“You don’t want to end up cursing around your boss, and then at the same time when kids are around because honestly, it’s best the kids get eased into it and learn how to properly use them instead of just using them,” she said. 

Inverso offered an opposing perspective.  

“I actually think it’s kind of funny,” Inverso said. “Adults try not to swear in front of children because they don’t want kids to hear those type of words. Children try not to swear in front of adults because they don’t want the adults to know they’re using these words. But I feel like if we all just kind of acknowledged we’re all swearing, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.”  

Cuatepitzi-Rojas expressed a strong belief that, when used appropriately, swearing might give the impression of intelligence.  

“It’s a sign of intelligence to the point with understanding how to use them (profanities) and when to use them and the appropriate way to use them,” she said. 

Cuatepitzi-Rojas’ ideas were elaborated further by Aquino in agreement.    

“I feel like it (swearing) helps validate your own emotions,” Aquino said. “It just helps you breathe.”  

Some may find some terms that are labeled as swear words offensive, while others may view them as common language.    

“There is really nothing that makes them a curse word,” Inverso said. “They’re just words.”  

Kimberly Carroll can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].