COLUMN: ‘Hot take’ the field

Ashanti Thomas

So, I will be honest, I think the Super Bowl is over-hyped.

I know, I know. “Kierstyn you are crazy, football is the best sport and the Super Bowl is the best event of the year.”

I just do not agree. I find it bland and boring, but maybe my opinion is a bit biased.

I was born loving baseball, played softball and have continued my love for the sport into my twenties. So, yes, I am a bit biased when it comes to sports.

Still, watching football puts me in a daze and makes nap time seem like the best option. Now, I will say, I tried. I did not just state this opinion based on no prior experience.

If you are reading this in the future, for context, the 2024 Super Bowl just happened this past weekend. I watched as people around me got excited about football and the halftime show while I sat there thinking, “Oh wow, it is just a normal Sunday.”

I heard people talk about who would win and what plays would be made. I watched as people bet on the winning team and brought out their football jerseys as they made fried foods and sat down waiting patiently for the game to start.

All while I wonder what the big deal is.

When I was younger, I would get excited for the commercials because everybody else got excited for them. Then, depending on who the halftime show performer was, I would get excited to watch.

I think the last time I actually got excited for the halftime show was in 2016 when Coldplay, Beyonce and Bruno Mars were performing. Since then, I have done my best to disappear when the Super Bowl came on TV.

I just do not find the sport interesting in the slightest, which I know is a hot take. I know all of you football fans out there will not be happy with that opinion.

I know some of you might be wondering how I think baseball is more interesting than football and it might be because it is simpler. I am not really sure, and people have asked me countless times when I have told them I do not find football interesting.

I get the plays confused and how many downs there are, but I can say I understand the point system. So, there is a bright side. I am not completely clueless and use that as an excuse for why I do not find it entertaining.

Baseball just has “hit ball, catch ball, throw ball, run.” In all honesty, I do think baseball is better for the amount of skill a baseball player genuinely needs. Hitting a small ball thrown at you going an average of 90ish miles per hour and hitting it with a bat accurately takes skill.

However, I do think it is impressive to see people being able to throw a ball accurately from across a football field and then see another person catch that ball. I know I could not be that accurate or throw that far. I do give football players major props for some of the things they need to pull off to win a game.

I just do not think the Super Bowl needs that much hype, but hey, I do get excited about the World Series so maybe I would be excited if I liked football.

Also, why is football called football? It looks more like an egg, and it is in your hands most of the game. Soccer being called football in the rest of the world makes so much sense.

I am calling American football handegg from now on.

Kierstyn Budz can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.