Huck’s, sports complex coming to town

Charleston Mayor Brandon Combs spoke and answered questions at Wednesday’s Student Senate meeting
Charleston Mayor Brandon Combs visited the Student Senate during their meeting Wednesday. (Cam’ron Hardy)

Mayor Brandon Combs spoke about plans for upcoming developments in Charleston during the student government meeting Wednesday. 

Combs said this year has been the biggest year for construction during his 10-year term. 

According to Combs, the Huck’s that will be built on Lincoln, near Walmart Inc., will be a mega store offering more convenience store items than the location near the square. Inside the store will be a deli and a Godfather’s Pizza. Additionally, there are tentative plans to offer electric vehicle charging.

Combs mentioned other land purchases in the city, sharing that there have been silent purchases throughout the city that he couldn’t say more about, but he is excited about the upcoming construction in the city.

Further, there are plans to add more kayaking services to Lake Charleston due to high demand in the spring. If the demand is still high this spring, Combs said he would be happy to accommodate demand. 

The city has bought land which has increased the amount of hiking trails available. Until those trails are available though, Combs recommended walking at Charleston’s new Linder Sports Complex at Recreation Drive and Nursery Road.

Combs said the city’s new multimillion-dollar sports complex was built at no cost to taxpayers. Grants by the Charleston Area Charitable Foundation covered the cost of materials, v and the labor was done in-house by city officials.

Construction at the Linden Sports Complex is not yet complete as there are plans to add a pickleball court.

Oliver Ehmann, a senior political science major, and a part of Student Government’s External Relations and University Enhancement committees, asked about what steps Charleston can take to begin recycling because as it stands, the university and city at large do not recycle. 

Combs shared that the city used to offer free recycling at the beginning of his term, though it was abused. People were taking large and unsuitable items to the recycling center at the time which ultimately led to the partner company to withdraw from the agreement. 

It has been difficult for the City Council to find a company that could provide proper and complete recycling for the city since then. 

Combs wrapped up his address with comments and plans on the state of transportation in Charleston. 

He shared that an unnamed investor wants to initiate a busing system throughout Charleston but are in negotiations with the city about whether or not that would be done privately or through the university or city government.

The rest of the meeting addressed university-specific issues such as the appointment of the Bond Revenue Committee and the Constitution Revision Committee. 

Student Body President, Nidhi Patel, a senior political science major, shared that the Constitution Revision Committee will meet privately throughout February, have an outreach tabling meeting on Feb. 26 to hear opinions and concerns of the student body and have a final presentation of the revised constitution on Feb. 28.

Senator Emilee Boyd, a student representative on the faculty senate shared that a elementary education graduate program will be added to EIU’s curriculum and there is talk of a pre-library minor being incorporated as well.

Veronica Gipson can be reached at [email protected] or 581-2812.