Eastern releases statement regarding AFSCME negotiations

Both Eastern and the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) released statements regarding the status of the AFSCME negotiations.

Eastern and AFSCME began meeting in May 2023. (ASHANTI THOMAS)

Eastern stated, “Constructive and regular meetings with AFSCME Local 981 began in May 2023 and continue. The university looks forward to finalizing a successor agreement for the nearly 200 AFSCME-represented employees in the service, clerical and food court units.

Several tentative agreements have been mutually agreed upon and EIU reaffirms its commitment to collaboratively finalizing a multi-year agreement that includes both enhanced benefits and compensation. EIU’s last offer included the following wages: For Year 1, 5% – 12.5% (depending on classification); Year 2, 4%; Year 3, 3%; and Year 4, 2.5%. We are pleased to announce this financial package represents an unprecedented proposal that translates into between 14.5% – 22.0% in base compensation increases as of Jan. 1, 2024 wages and is the largest proposed increase for AFSCME employees at EIU in over three decades. In addition to compensation, the university proposes that employees also receive additional holiday leave, a new parental leave program and community service leave.

The EIU administration values and appreciates the commitment of AFSCME members and their many contributions to the university’s mission, our students and the entire campus community. For these reasons, the university looks forward to finalizing an agreement as soon as possible.”

AFSCME has also released a statement regarding the result of their last meeting with the university stating: “AFSCME members do the work supporting students and faculty that makes EIU happen. We deserve pay and benefits that can sustain us and our families. It’s unacceptable that, after months in negotiations, EIU administration is still unwilling to offer compensation that recognizes our contributions to the university, keeps pace with rising costs and allows EIU to hire and retain dedicated staff. We will be seeking the assistance of an impartial mediator to aid bargaining going forward.”

AFSCME last met with the university to negotiate on Jan. 24. They have been negotiating since May 2023.

Cam’ron Hardy can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].