Pantherpalooza promotes student organizations

Students stand behind their booths to promote their organizations at Pantherpalooza in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Grand Ballroom. (Cam’ron Hardy)

The bi-annual Pantherpalooza event took place on Tuesday in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Ballroom in the Grand Ballroom.

The event hosted more than 100 organizations and clubs that presented students an opportunity to get involved in events they may not typically be interested in. There were prizes, free t-shirts and various treats available for students just for stopping and talking to the different people at the various booths.

Senior political science major Cydney Adams was in attendance to promote the political science association of Eastern Illinois University. Adams said the club encourages political discourse and keeping up with current events. She felt that Pantherpalooza is very beneficial for getting new members.

“Nonpolitical science people typically don’t hear about the political science association until something like Pantherpalooza,” she said. “It’s a great way to get people involved,” Adams said.

Junior special education major Lauren Jackson was also in attendance. She felt that Pantherpalooza was very beneficial for her sorority, Alpha Sigma Alpha.

She felt that Pantherpalooza gave her the opportunity to share with others the values of community.

“Pantherpalooza is just a great way to get to meet people,” Jackson said. “I love getting to know a bunch of different people from a bunch of different backgrounds, different majors, different clubs, even just the possibility of developing new friendships just out of one conversation.”

As the new Alpha Sigma Alpha president, she decided to work with the Best Buddies program in hopes of bringing communities together through volunteer work.

One of Alpha Sigma Alpha’s largest events is the Special Olympics. Pantherpalooza was a great way for the members to find other programs to connect to the Special Olympics, Jackson said.

Pantherpalooza not only brings people together but also gives newer Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) a chance to tell others about their organization.

Graduate student Taylor Comer said the best part of Pantherpalooza was seeing all the organizations show up and show their pride for their RSO.

“Sometimes you don’t know about certain organizations because they don’t really advertise it or they don’t talk about it, but then you come to Pantherpalooza and everyone is able to tell you something they’re passionate about,” Comer said. “That to me is the best part.”

Ashaureah Reed, a university board member, encouraged all students to join an RSO.

“It’s fun,” Reed said. “The more that you are out, the more you get to know people, you realize the campus is fun. We have a lot of events to offer. Cold or not come outside. It opens a lot of doors.”

Anna Hagan can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].