Martinez Mundo announces departure from EIU

Senior+libero%2Fdefensive+specialist+Christina+Martinez+Mundo+smiles+while+Head+Coach+Sara+Thomas+speaks+on+each+of+the+seniors+skills+and+impact+on+the+team+during+the+press+conference.+
Senior libero/defensive specialist Christina Martinez Mundo smiles while Head Coach Sara Thomas speaks on each of the senior’s skills and impact on the team during the press conference.

Senior libero/defensive specialist Christina Martinez Mundo announced she will be transferring to the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana to play with the Fighting Illini volleyball team.

Martinez Mundo posted on Instagram Thursday night announcing her departure from the Eastern volleyball program:

“B1G announcement! Extremely happy to share that I have committed to the University of Illinois for my graduate season ?? Thank you to @illinivball for this opportunity!

Thank you to the EIU volleyball program also for giving me the opportunity to play in the United States and for an amazing 4 years ??!”

Martinez Mundo was part of the volleyball team since her freshman year of college.

Throughout her four years with the program, Martinez Mundo finished with 331 aces, 97 service aces and 1,750 digs.

Martinez Mundo helped the 2023 volleyball team win the Ohio Valley Conference regular season championship, the OVC Tournament championship, and she also helped the team punch their ticket into their first NCAA Volleyball Tournament appearance since 2001.

The University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana Fighting Illini volleyball team is in the Big Ten Conference.

The Big Ten Conference includes schools such as the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, University of Wisconsin, and Purdue University.

The Fighting Illini are coached by Chris Tamas. Tamas started with the Fighting Illini in 2017, and his teams have made four NCAA Volleyball Tournament appearances under Tamas in the head coaching position.

Zaria Flippin can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].