Lotería night for LASO’s last meeting

Cam’ron Hardy

Roughly a dozen people braved the rain to turn out for Latin American Student Organization’s, (LASO), paint-your-own lotería card event on Thursday evening. The event took place in the foreign language department in Coleman Hall from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.

This was the organization’s final event of the semester.

The organization has previously held lotería nights, including the lotería night that was held on Nov. 9 at 7th St. Underground in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union, but this was the first in which attendees were able to make their own playing cards.

Guiselle Padaron, a junior who is majoring in hospitality and tourism management, is president of the LASO organization.

Padaron said LASO members have been organizing and planning the event since the summer. Members of LASO try to obtain an understanding of everyone’s schedule around the first week of the semester.

Padaron described the process of planning the event, as this was the first year the paint-your-own version was able to be held. Padaron discussed the possibility of similar events in the future.

“Yeah, I think it’s a very high possibility,” Padaron said. “I mean, we like doing events that people suggest and we’ll do it and it is a big thing because people get really competitive. And it kind of reminds them of being home which I think is really sweet.”

Padaron left the invitation open to future events with the organization for anyone who is interested in getting involved.

“I just would like to say to not be intimidated because people hear the word Latin in our group and think that you have to be apart of the community, and that isn’t true,” Padaron said. “We welcome everybody, and if you just want to come and learn, like, we would love to have you.”

She also said they they try to outline all of the events to be held at the beginning of the semester, and then send it off to the executive board to let them know if it is manageable to complete or not.

Gabe Emerson, a junior who is majoring in environmental biology, who serves as the organization’s event coordinator on the executive board, discussed previous events with other RSO’s on campus.

“Before we went on break, we had a lotería night with Alpha Psi Lambda,” Emerson said. “So that had some good turnout.”

Emerson, like Padaron, encouraged students to get involved, regardless of cultural background. Being the only non-Hispanic member of the group, Emerson felt right at home.  Emerson described the inclusive atmosphere of the organization.

“It’s fun to learn Latin culture, so it’s like a good opportunity, if you’re really interested in Latin culture, it’s a good opportunity to meet new people,” Emerson said.

Jacob Hamm can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].