EIU gets win in last game of the regular season

Senior outside hitter Ella Collins (13) led the match in kills with 28 which is also a career high. (File)

The last game of the regular season for Eastern volleyball went into the fifth set. The game went back and forth until the last score, with both teams trading blows throughout the match. Eastern won in the fifth set 3-2.

The final set echoed the theme of the entire match where no team was able to pull ahead of the other. The largest lead either team was able to hold was when Eastern pulled ahead 3-1 early in the set. Head Coach Sara Thomas called a timeout when Eastern was up 11-10. After this timeout, Eastern put up four unanswered points to get the win, 15-10.

The match started with an Eastern win, as the first set ended 25-18 in Eastern’s favor. This set was back and forth as well, with eight ties happening within the first 10 scores. The game was 10-10 when Eastern took off and never looked back. The Panthers maintained at least a two-score lead throughout the rest of the set. Senior outside hitter Giovana Larregui Lopez controlled the set with eight kills.

The Leathernecks bounced back in what ended up being a very competitive second set. Eastern lost this set 25-23. Western Illinois controlled this set, maintaining a two-score lead for the majority of play. The Panthers tied it up 22-22 late in the set, yet the Leathernecks managed to pull away, scoring three more points for the win.

Western Illinois took control of the match in the third set, winning 25-21. Eastern was never able to get a lead in this set, always at least one point behind.

The fourth set was close throughout until Eastern was able to pull away at the end, etching a win 25-19. Western Illinois committed seven net errors to close out the set, which ensured the match would drop to 2-2.

When asked what it means to capitalize off opponent’s mistakes, Thomas said, “It’s very important, especially that next point to try and build momentum off it.”

Senior outside hitter Ella Collins led the match and set a career high with 28 kills. Freshman libero Masyn Navarro had the match high in digs with 28.

Navarro took over the libero position in the second set. This was due to senior libero Christina Martinez Mundo being benched for rest.

“It felt good, at the beginning I was nervous because I haven’t done that in a while because of Martinez Mundo” Navarro said.  “But I went out there with confidence in myself and confidence in my team, so I knew I could do it.”

Navarro also said Martinez Mundo always picks her up and teaches her stuff that the coaches can’t.

Eastern will have a couple days off to prepare for the Ohio Valley Conference tournament, which they will host in Lantz Arena. The number one seed Panthers will take on the eighth-seeded Little Rock Trojans Nov. 20, at 1 p.m.

Aidan Cusack can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].