Student struck by vehicle on Monday afternoon

Numerous+police+squad+cars+on+scene+after+a+pedestrian+was+hit+by+a+vehicle+Monday%2C+Nov+13%2C+2023%2C+shortly+after+noon+in+the+area+of+Fourth+and+Grant.+The+incident+prompted+a+large+emergency+response+including+personnel+from+the+Charleston+Police+Department%2C+Charleston+Fire+Department+and+the+Eastern+Illinois+University+Police+Department.+
T.J. Seputis
Numerous police squad cars on scene after a pedestrian was hit by a vehicle Monday, Nov 13, 2023, shortly after noon in the area of Fourth and Grant. The incident prompted a large emergency response including personnel from the Charleston Police Department, Charleston Fire Department and the Eastern Illinois University Police Department.

An Eastern student was transported by paramedics from the scene of a vehicle vs. pedestrian accident along Fourth Street, Monday afternoon.

Commotion unfolded along Fourth Street in front of Stevenson Hall shortly past 12 in the afternoon when a female pedestrian was struck by a vehicle.

The incident prompted a large response of emergency personnel. The Charleston Fire Department has confirmed the transport of one patient from the scene. The patient’s condition or identity has not been made public at this time. The Charleston Police department could not say whether or not there were any charges being considered as a result of the accident but stated that it was an ongoing investigation.

Eastern issued a news release following the incident stating that the pedestrian is a student at the college and that the Charleston Police Department is investigating the incident.

There was a small patch of red located in the roadway several yards south of the crosswalk, and a Charleston Fire Engine returned to the scene at around 1:30 p.m. to spray the area down with water.

Reports from individuals that witnessed the accident indicate that the female may have entered the roadway at the crosswalk from the west side of Fourth and was subsequently struck by a vehicle moving southbound. Witnesses report that the individual that was driving the vehicle remained on scene after the collision.

The short stretch of Fourth Street between Grant Avenue and Roosevelt Avenue, in which the incident occurred, contains a total of seven crosswalks. These crosswalks are well used and typically have a steady flow of pedestrian traffic, especially during the school day. The speed limit on this stretch of roadway is 20 miles per hour.

It was sunny and the roads were dry at the time of the incident.

T.J. Seputis can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].