Eastern able to overcome slow start to beat Valparaiso

Junior forward Macy McGlone was second on the Panthers in points with 20. (File)

The Panthers women’s basketball team overcame a rough first half to beat the Valparaiso Beacons 75-62.

Eastern ended the first quarter shooting 33% from the field and from the three-point line while the Beacons shot 46% from the field and 55% from the three-point line.

The Panthers came out in the second quarter and shot 50% from the field. Going into the half the Panthers cut down the deficit to three.

After not having the start, they would have hoped for in the first half, they knew they weren’t out of the game junior forward Macy McGlone said.

“I was honestly just thinking we’re fine, teams get down in the first half all the time,” McGlone said.

Eastern held the Beacons to just 23% from the field and 25% from the three-point line in the third quarter. Eastern outscored the Beacons 18-10 in the third quarter giving them a 49-44 lead entering the fourth.

The fourth quarter was a competitive one until McGlone was able to convert a shot that she got fouled on. She then made the free throw and swung the game in the Panthers’ favor.

“Let’s keep making sure we’re looking inside, and I thought we did a better job of finding Macy in the 4th quarter,” Head Coach Matt Bollant said.

McGlone dominated down low in the fourth for the Panthers, scoring seven of her 20 points in the paint.

Freshman guard Lalani Ellis Led the Panthers with 21 points. She also had a huge steal to put the Panthers up nine with four minutes left in the game.

“It feels great,” Ellis said. “It wouldn’t happen if it wasn’t for my teammates feeding me the ball and for my coaches being in the gym with me to help get better.”

This game gives the Panthers their first win of the season.

Eastern will have a couple days off as they will head to Phoenix, Arizona to play in Grand Canyon University’s Women’s Basketball Classic.

The Panthers are scheduled to play Nicholls State University on Friday at 2 p.m.

Cameron Thomas can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].