Greek Life and leadership: developing skills for the future

Greek Court Wednesday afternoon, Nov. 8, 2023 (Tyriq Johnson)

The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) and the Panhellenic Council (PHC) are two different organizations with distinct purposes.

The NPHC is a collaborative organization consisting of nine historical African American fraternities and sororities, also known as the Divine Nine. The PHC is a governing body that oversees sororities that are members of the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC).

The primary purpose of the NPHC is to promote unity and leadership among its member organizations. The Divine Nine fraternities and sororities focus on fostering academic excellence, community service and philanthropy. They also provide a support system for students, particularly those from underrepresented communities, to help them succeed in college and beyond.

Josiah Moodie, a senior sports management major, is a member of the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated the Delta Chi Chapter. Moodie became interested in becoming a member from the older members of the organization and how they carried themselves.

“They pretty much just like were in the organization, getting opportunities, you know, going everywhere and just being still real,” Moodie said. “Like they never changed how they were from when I first met them. So that kind of drew me closer.”

With joining this organization, Moodie wanted to become something bigger than himself, he never really participated in campus events, nor did he talk to many people. Being in the organization has allowed him to open and be a part of different Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) on campus.

His main goal was staying true to himself and never changing that even with the letters.

“I was able to just embrace myself and become my own self in a way like I was able to still be myself, but I was able to be put in certain spotlights that I could give back and gain more opportunities,” Moodie said.

For the Delta Chi Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma, brotherhood is one of the main principles and Moodie expressed that all the brothers before him, and even now, have never switched up and always stayed true to him and the rest of the members.

“For me to sit there and have brothers that I know, that’s in my circle and in my corner and that are always gone make sure that I’m [okay]; it is just a good feeling and like, it’s just bigger than me, brotherhood is just selflessness, bigger than one person,” Moodie said.

Being a member of an organization has become something more for Moodie, he appreciates how much this fraternity has helped him grow in college.

Brianna Hull-Dennis, senior political science major, is member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated the Omicron Delta Chapter. Hull-Dennis has encountered many Zetas in her life but once she came to college and started getting involved, she happened to be working with mainly Zetas.

“I will say really, before me being inducted seeing that the Zetas ran the yard that they had a leadership position in almost every organization or department, they were receiving accolades in regard to their academic successes, their service successes, their national initiatives,” Hull-Dennis said.

Seeing how well rounded the Zetas were on campus, is what stood out to Hull-Dennis the most. Joining this organization has helped Hull-Dennis become more connected and versatile on campus.

“I was already academically driven but it built my desire to build relationships with people in a more of a social setting as well as understanding the importance of the connection,” Hull-Dennis said.

Building those connections have helped with her social aspects especially when encountering different Zetas.

“The girl could be all the way from across the country, and now y’all in touch and now she’s putting you on some resources,” Hull Dennis said.” So just the amount of people and faces that you could meet in such a short period of time or just anywhere.”

Hull-Dennis expressed such gratitude to the women of the Zeta Phi Beta and how they have helped her grow throughout her undergrad years.

The Panhellenic Council is responsible for regulating the recruitment process and activities of its member sororities. The NPC member sororities are typically majority-white organizations that share a common heritage and values. The PHC helps maintain standards and guidelines for recruitment and member conduct, as well as promoting community service and philanthropy.

Carlos Rodriguez, sophomore psychology major, is a member of Sigma Chi Fraternity. He had great encouterments with the active members before him, who shared similar interests and were career oriented.

“After many conversations, I started feeling comfortable with this group of brothers and I knew what my choice should be,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez has only been a member of Sigma Chi fraternity for a year, but he has already grown and learned new perspectives.

One of the biggest benefits of joining a fraternity is the opportunity to develop skills such as communication, organization and teamwork that will be useful in your future career.

“I can honestly say that I have gained insight on what it means to be a part of an organization that is bigger than what I am; it has helped mature me in a lot of ways,” Rodriguez said.

Joining this group of brothers has helped Rodriguez academically.

“Since we host many study tables and academic programs it helps all of us continue to strive and grow in our college years,” Rodriguez said.

One of the biggest benefits of being in a fraternity is the opportunity to develop leadership skills. As a member of Sigma Chi, there will be a chance to take on leadership roles in various capacities, from organizing events to serving as an officer.

“My leadership skills have improved with the amount of responsibilities that have fallen on my plate… These experiences have helped me develop the skills I need to be an effective leader both in my personal and professional life,” Rodriguez said.

While Rodriguez has been a part of his fraternity for a year now, Angela Torres, a freshman psychology major was inducted in her sorority Sigma Kappa just last week.

Coming to college Torres did not see herself joining a sorority, until she went to the open houses and met all the girls and immediately felt at home.

“I feel like they all had really great things to say about why they felt welcomed in this particular home and organization compared to the other ones that I went to,” Torres said.

One of the most significant experiences is building a network of friends and mentors who can support you throughout your college and post-college career. This network can provide access to job opportunities, internships and connections in various fields.

“I feel like I’ve gained like another family… It’s like people I don’t think I would have ever met otherwise because we’re all so different, categorized groups that you would usually have at school like cliques,” Torres said.

Sigma Kappa Sorority provide numerous opportunities to develop and enhance leadership skills. As a member, there will be chances to participate in various events and have the chance to become more open to social aspects.

“It’s made me become more open to new things and new scenarios, definitely,” Torres said. “In the beginning of this whole journey of joining a sorority, it wasn’t something that I was particularly interested in at the time, but I feel like by doing this, I felt more open to new things. I’m not quick to kind of turn it down,” Torres said.

One of the most significant advantages of being in a sorority or a fraternity is the sense of belonging that comes with being part of a community. Greek organizations are often described as a “home away from home” for their members, providing a sense of camaraderie and belonging that can be hard to find elsewhere.

“Joining an organization, you are going to go through things together and just gain an unbreakable bond,” Moodie said.

Payton Liggins can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].