EIU blows out Monmouth in home opener

Senior guard Jordan “Tiger” Booker pushes the defense during Eastern’s home opener on Wednesday evening at Lantz Arena . Brooker scored 10 points and went 2-2 on free throws as well as 4-7 on field goals.

Eastern held the Monmouth Fighting Scots to just 9-25 (36%) from the floor in the first half, while the Panthers converted half of their 36 shot attempts Wednesday evening.

The Panthers started off their home opener hot, going on a 21-3 run to start the game.

After a timeout, the team continued their run; this time on the defensive end with steals on back-to-back possessions from senior guard Jordan ‘Tiger’ Booker.

Later during the first half, Booker again made his presence felt defensively forcing two turnovers that both led to free throws on the opposite end.

Junior guard Dan Luers and freshman guard Isaiah Griffin both made 3-pointers, making the score 42-22, putting their lead back up to 20 points.

With under a minute to go in the first half, junior forward Lazar Grbovic would record a steal and finish in transition to make the score 46-22.

After a bucket by the opponents, Griffin found Luers for a last second three-pointer which would be the final points scored in the first half, with the Panthers being up 49-24.

The start of the second half was a two-man show for the Panthers as Booker found redshirt sophomore forward Kooper Jacobi for an easy assist and the first points of the half.

Jacobi would score on his own on the possession after, making the score 53-26. Jacobi recorded a game-high of 16 points throughout the game.

Eastern would end up winning the game against Monmouth 91-45.

The Panthers had four players score double digits: Jacobi (16), Luers (13), sophomore forward Sincere Malone (11) and Booker (10).

“I let my shot come to me,” Malone said. “I looked for my teammates first, making sure they’re in position to score. I feed off energy, I feed off my teammates.”

Fifth-year forward Jermaine Hamlin (34) reaches for the ball while being contested by Monmouth College Fighting Colts junior forward Scots Ganon Greenman (10) and senior guard David Williams during Eastern’s home opener on Wednesday evening at Lantz Arena. Hamlin scored two points and had four rebounds. (Rob Le Cates)

Booker commented on what this game meant to him after the season opener loss to the University of Illinois Fighting Illini.

“I didn’t like my performance previous so this game I knew it would be a point of emphasis,” Booker said. “I wanted to show what I can do on the defensive side. I’m glad we’re back in the win column. I feel like I played well, but I’m happy we won,” Booker said.

Booker recorded four steals throughout the game.

Malone shared how the win will motivate the team for their next game.

“This was a good win for us to get a spark going,” Malone said. “It shows everybody what we are capable of. Hopefully we gave the fans what they came to see.”

Eastern’s record now sits at 1-1 on the season, with the Panthers eager about their first win.

Eastern hit the road for their next game where they head to Gentile Arena in Chicago to face off against Loyola Chicago on Saturday. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Maurice Phipps can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].