2023 EIU women’s basketball season preview

The women’s basketball team picked up its tenth conference win in Saturday afternoon’s game against Southeast Missouri State University at Lantz Arena. The Panthers won 63-57. The Panthers are 10-0 in conference play and 17-3 in season play.

Eastern’s women’s basketball hope to go further in the Ohio Valley Conference tournament this season.

The Panthers finished with a 21-8 overall record last season, and they finished with a 14-4 record in the Ohio Valley Conference. The Panthers finished second in the OVC Conference last season.

Eastern is projected to finish third in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Two Panthers have been selected to the Preseason All-OVC Women’s Basketball Team:

Eastern forward, Macy McGlone (33), led the Panthers with 211 rebounds and 41 blocks last season. (File)

1. Macy McGlone

The junior forward from Greenville, WI was awarded with a First Team All-OVC spot and an OVC All-Newcomer Team spot last year.

McGlone led the Panthers in rebounds last season as she recorded 211 rebounds throughout the season. McGlone also led the team in blocked shots, recording 41 blocks last season.

McGlone transferred to Eastern last year after playing two seasons at Milwaukee. McGlone started in all 29 games for the Panthers last season.

Guard Miah Monahan led the Panthers with 36 made three-pointers and 41 steals last season. (File) 

2. Miah Monahan

The junior guard from Silver Lake, MN started in all 29 games last season for the Panthers.

Monahan led the team in made three-pointers last season with 36 made three-pointers. Monahan also led the team in steals, recording 41 steals last season.

Eastern started their season with an 86-64 exhibition win over Chicago State. The Panthers will start regular season play on Monday evening against Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in Indianapolis.

The Panthers will stay in Indiana for their next game on Thursday against Indiana University.

Eastern will play Valparaiso for their first home game in Lantz Arena of the season on Nov. 12.

The Panthers will travel to Phoenix to compete in the Grand Canyon University Women’s Basketball Classic as they compete against Nicholls (Nov. 24) and Fresno State (Nov. 25).

Three days later, the Panthers have three more away games against New Mexico (Nov. 28), Loyola Chicago (Dec. 2) and Bradley (Dec. 5).

Eastern will play against North Dakota in Lantz Arena on Dec. 7 before going back on the road to compete against Wright State in Dayton, OH on Dec. 9.

The Panthers will compete against Milwaukee at Lake Land College in Mattoon on Dec. 15 before traveling to DeKalb to compete against Northern Illinois on Dec. 18.

The Panthers will end their non-conference schedule competing against the Wisconsin Badgers in Madison, WI on Dec. 21.

OVC games will start Dec. 29 for the Panthers against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE). Here is a rundown of the conference schedule for the Panthers:

• 29: SIUE (away)
  • 4: Univeristy of Tennessee-Martin (away)
  • 6: Little Rock (away)
  • 11: Morehead State (home)
  • 13: Western Illinois (home)
  • 20: Lindenwood (away)
  • 25: Tennessee Tech (home)
  • 27: Tennessee State (home)
  • 1: UT Martin (home)
  • 3: Little Rock (home)
  • 8: Southern Indiana (away)
  • 10: Morehead State (away)
  • 15: Southeast Missouri (home)
  • 17: Lindenwood (home)
  • 22: Tennessee State (away)
  • 24: Tennessee Tech (away)
  • 27: SIUE (home)
  • 29: Western Illinois (away)

The OVC Tournament starts on March 6 in Evansville, IN.

Zaria Flippin can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].