Gatrell presents Plan 2028 to student government 

EIU President Jay Gatrell spoke about Plan 2028 to student government. File Photo.

Speaker of the senate Karolina Guzek led Eastern’s student government through its starting normal procedures, before handing the floor over to Eastern’s President Jay Gatrell Wednesday night at 7th Street Underground. 

Gatrell went to the meeting to give a presentation on Plan 2028. He explained how the plan will help EIU grow and improve as a university.

Gatrell discussed how Plan 2028 will use more targeted marketing to bring in students to specific fields of study at Eastern. The goal is to show the world how good programs EIU has to offer, that many people might be overlooking when trying to decide where they want to study for their higher education.  

“Jay has been really great about being very present on campus and I really appreciate him speaking to the student leaders here tonight,” Guzek said. “Plan 2028 is a really in-depth and strategic plan and I’m really excited to see where it takes EIU.”  

There will also be new scholarship opportunities under Plan 2028 that start next year. New positions at Eastern have also been opened, and the university is trying to search for the right people for the job.  

Vice President of Academic Affairs for student government, Carlos Rodriguez, questioned Gatrell after his presentation. His question pertained to the new position of Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer, more specifically how many people had applied for the job. Gatrell answered by telling the Senate that the university is down to three finalists for the position.  

Gunnar Olson can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].