Bringing buckets with ‘Balling for Boobies’

Cam’ron Hardy
A group of men playing basketball wednesday night.

With October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the National Association of Colored Women’s Club, Inc. Worthy W.I.L. Chapter presented “Balling 4 Boobies” fundraiser.

Basketball players were invited to play against each other.

Teams of 3 paid $3 per person and teams of 5 were $5 per person.

All of the proceeds paid to participate for the fundraiser went to the Sisters Network Inc. Breast Cancer Awareness Foundation.

The competition gathered in McAfee Gym Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m.

Tavon Evans, a senior tv and video production major, jumping with a teammate after Evans scored the game winning shot Wednesday night. (Cam’ron Hardy)

Dozens of players came to support the cause and play basketball in the process.

Ahmad Johnson, a senior finance major, participated in the event to show support.

“I just came to support,” Johnson said. “It’s Breast Cancer Awareness [month], [I just came] to show some love and play ball really, that’s all.”

Johnson played in a 3 vs. 3 and a 5 vs. 5 tournament.

He was not too satisfied with his performance. Even with his points made, he felt like he did “mediocre.”

Devin Carter, a junior sports management major, driving to the basketball rim Oct. 25, 2023 on Eastern Illinois University’s campus in McAfee gym in Charleston, Ill. (Cam’ron Hardy)

Devin Carter, a junior management major, played in two 3 vs. 3 tournaments. He scored several points in both games and dominated in his first game played.

Carter also said that he came out to support the awareness of breast cancer awareness.

Carter also said that he thinks that the event was a way to bring the community together.

Despite scoring several points, he also thought he could have done better.

He said he could have made a few more shots and played better defense.

Senior communications major, Chris Williams played in one 3 vs. 3 game and won.

He was proud of his performance, to say the least.

“As humble as possible, I feel like nobody can guard me,” Williams said.

He also said even though he is primarily a football player, he still maintains a good shot. Football players typically get the stereotype for being unnecessarily aggressive in other sports, but Williams said he defied those odds.

Williams said he “loved” to support the cause. His mother believed that she had breast cancer which took a toll on him, so he always kept her in mind at the event.

He also enjoyed how the entire event brought everyone together to support a good cause.

Kennedi Hall, a graduate student majoring in health and human services, was a part of the team that made the event possible.

Hall said that the event is annual, and a lot of time and preparation goes into it.

Hall is the Vice President and parliamentarian of the National Association of Colored Women’s Club.

She said that hosting the events allows the men that played basketball a safe place to do so, while also doing it in a peaceful manner. She also said the event was a way to bring together the Black community as a whole.

She has a personal connection with the event.

Several friends of hers, as well as family members have struggled with breast cancer.

“It’s just something personal to me because I’ve always been an advocate for the black community,” Hall said. “So, it is affects the black community, it affects me.”

She said amongst her and the other hosts, there were not any specific expectations, only for people to have a good time.

Cam’ron Hardy can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].