Steam outage during Fall Break

Tyriq Johnson

Steam outage may affect the Eastern campus while students are on Fall Break on Friday from 4 a.m. to Saturday at 5 p.m.  

The steam outage could affect whether there is heat, steam or hot water in many of the University’s buildings, including dorms.  

The steam outage is required to repair a main valve on a line that goes through the campus.  

HVAC and Controls Foreman Bill Burnside said the expansion joint at the main steam line is leaking.  

Burnside said that this is normal everyday maintenance that happens within the infrastructure.  

He also stated that the campus community has rarely been aware of maintenance in the past and the planning for the outage usually happens during breaks.  

The campus outage is not definite as the valve should hold allowing for the repairs to continue without a disruption of service.  

Burnside said we are preparing for the worst but preparing for the best when it comes to the timing of when it will be fixed, that is why there is a possibility of a campus wide outage.  

Burnside also said that you should not notice any difference with the pipes while this is going on. 

Chandler Smith can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].