Connecting with Books and Crafts at EIU Pride

Jacob Adcock
Members of EIU pride start on their personal craft.

Every month, Booth Library lets two Registered Student Organizations, RSOs, to create a book display. During October, EIU Pride had the opportunity to put together a book display with the theme: Queer Joy. The members of Pride got to pick their choices for the books, which allowed diverse and prideful book selections.  

October is also Gender and Sexual Diversity (GSD) History Month, which made the topics of news and history about the LBGTQIA+ community all more important.  International lesbian day was on Oct. 8, and National Coming Out Day will be on Wednesday, October 11. The meeting allowed the members to recognize those important dates.

Pride held a meeting on Monday in the Effingham room located in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.

President Lucy Ade started by talking about upcoming events and news regarding Pride.  

The meeting also had special guest, Amy Odwarka, a Student Success Librarian.

Odwarka attended the meeting to discuss the importance of books representing the GSD community.  

“It gives the ability to safely share a collection of different identities for people to feel represented with their own personal identity,” Odwarka said.  

Odwarka also shared how banned books are being represented in Booth Library.

“When I hear about a book that got banned, it makes me want to read it intensively,” Odwarka said.   

She presented the banned books “All Boys Aren’t Blue,” written by George M. Johnson, and “Lesbian Love Story” authored by Amelia Possanza.  The novels have been banned in many libraries for reasons like “being considered sexually explicit.” 

Another positive outcome of the book displays is creating a space where RSOs can be recognized. It essentially puts the groups out in the open in order to be seen.   

Booth Library features a book display called EIU Pride about pride sponsored by the EIU Pride RSO on Monday. (Jacob Adcock)

The books are now on display in the library, and since this is Pride’s first year doing a book display, it has a wide variety of content that has reached its target audience.

“It’s amazing how much engagement the tables get after being on display,” Odwarka said.  

The meeting continued with arts and crafts. Since it is October, which is considered “Spooky Season,” the crafts were made with the intention to be spooky.  

The members were encouraged to craft together fun door decorations or “Door Decs” to create a sense that Halloween is approaching. Even though most Door Decs go on dorm doors in a residence hall, the supplies were also used to make decorations for people living off campus.  

Volunteers were also needed for future events Pride will be hosting. Even though around six members volunteered, the group could still use some help. The next meeting will be in the lower level of Stevenson Tower on Monday, Oct. 16.

For additional information, check out EIU Pride’s Instagram: @pride_eiu. Everyone is welcome to attend a meeting or event. 

Upcoming events for Pride:  

10/11 Big Day Out- Volunteers needed.  

10/13 Volleyball Pride Night @ 6 p.m.  

10/16 Queer History Night  

10/18 International Pronoun Day Tabling (11 am-1 pm in the Union Food Court)  

10/23 Asexual Awareness 

10/30 Horrifying Pride Halloween Costume Night 

12/2: The 20th annual Drag Show in the Grand Ballroom. It will feature professional Drag Queens. 

Jacob Adcock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].