Networking Night creates important connections

Ashanti Thomas
Career Services hosts a networking night at Tarble Art Center to help people network with employers and build relationships on Monday evening.

Approaching potential employers and having casual conversations is often a very difficult issue for college students. 

Networking Night was held at the Tarble Arts Center on Monday Sept 25. to teach students how to casually talk to employers and other students. 

It can be difficult to socialize with other people that students do not see daily on Easterns campus, especially when some students have all their classes are online. 

During the event, students explained how their engagement in networking has helped them to understand the Eastern community.  

“The students are having the same struggles, and I do not feel so alone,” organizational development major, Dawn Lawrence said. “It is nice to know that because I do not interact with many students because my courses are online. It is nice to meet other students that are having the same struggles and concerns, but it is also nice to just get out of my comfort zone and meet other people.” 

The event became more than just a career networking night, but an opportunity for students to network with other students as well as potential employers.  

“The best thing about it is that we are at the college, and you meet people from all walks of life, and on top of that you have job opportunities,” bio science major, Noah Wright said. 

Networking night provided a welcoming setting for several students be a part of a social, yet professional gathering. 

“I would say that it is a good ambience,” communications major, Nancy Ladeinde said. “So, it gives you that feel of like executive business meetings where you are not sitting where you are just like, forced to like talk to people, and like walk around. It just gives you this feeling of being in a professional setting where you get to like, enjoy engaging with the industries.” 

Ladeinde also said that casual social networking with employers is important to her and other students. 

“You are studying to interact with people outside your classroom,” Ladeinde said. “So, this gives that feeling where you kind of like engage with people and you are talking regularly, and you are just having that feel of what it is going to be like outside the classroom.” 

The important thing to remember is that you are not alone, and students have struggled with communicating with other people. 

“Just keep looking forward and be encouraged and know that you’re not alone,” Dawn Lawrence said. 

To get involved with workshops at the Student Career Services on Eastern’s campus, visit their website.  

Chandler Smith can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].