COLUMN: Apple launch event debrief

Ashanti Thomas
Staff profile for Cam’ron.

I’ve been an Apple lover since I could remember.

I remember my aunt buying me my first iPod touch when I was 5 years old and my mom buying me my first phone, the iPhone SE, when I was in 7th grade.

When I was younger, I wanted to be a manufacturer for Apple phones. My infatuation with technology has increased over the years and watching the latest Apple event just brought me back to when I was younger.

On Tuesday, Apple unveiled their new products, including the iPhone 15 series. I’ve been following updates from news sources on the events for months, so it wasn’t that surprising, but was still interesting to learn the specifics.

Apple’s biggest announcement was their iPhone 15 announcement due to it being able to be charged with a USB-C charger. Overall, it is pretty much like their last products, only improved with minor aspects.

Apple faced a lawsuit in 2022 forcing them to use USB-C chargers in their phones. It is somewhat a big deal, but to the average consumer, it’s just a new charger.

Now, users with updated Apple products are able to use the same charger for all of their products.

The new line of iPhones is powered with the new A17 Pro chip, the first time Apple used Pro in a chip name.

Knowing that they are on the A17 chip is just amazing to me because I remember giving a presentation on the iPhone 5C, which was powered by the A6 chip.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max also has a folding 5X telephoto camera.

Now, I’m not a camera-nerd so I’m not too sure how impressive that is, but being around the photo staff at The News kind of gave me a perspective about how good that it.

I saw a photo which kind of puts it into perspective and also kind of amazes me to know that it is possible to put that size of a camera into a lens that can fit in my pocket.

Apple also unveiled the new Apple Watch Series 9, and honestly, there have not been any drastic changes to Apple Watches series. The design has been the exact same since they were first released in April 2015.

There will be a feature that is similar to AirTag’s where if you have a ‘Find My’ device connected to your watch, then it will allow you to walk toward the device that you are trying to find, making it more accurate.

Apple also plans on doing its part to improve the climate. Stated in the presentation, Apple said its plan is to not have use any plastic in their packages by the end of next year.

Apple also unveiled the Apple Watch Ultra 2. There are not any major differences in the upgrade.

In general, the major upgrades with all the Apple products will be doubled the brightness with its 2000 nit screens and are able to dim up to 1 nit.

I was ecstatic watching the event and look forward to walking in the Apple store with no intentions of buying anything.

Cam’ron Hardy can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.