Six takeaways from the 9-0 record from Panthers volleyball

The Panthers are one of 14 teams in the nation to remain undefeated. (File)

The Panthers beat the Southern Illinois Carbondale Salukis 3-1 to remain perfect as they recorded their ninth win to their record.

Eastern also swept Arkansas State and Alabama A&M 3-0 in the Southern Illinois Saluki Bash.

Here are six takeaways from the historic season the Panthers are having so far:

1. Eastern is one of 14 teams in the nation to remain perfect.

Head coach Sara Thomas and the Panthers have been dominant throughout their season.

Eastern is one of 14 teams to remain perfect since the volleyball season has started.

The Panthers are one of seven teams that remain 9-0 in the NCAA Division I level (Appalachian State, Arizona State, California, The Citadel, Virginia Tech, Wyoming).

1. Senior Giovana Larregui López has over 500 kills throughout her time with Eastern.

Larregui López currently has a total of 99 kills in the 2023 season. The outside hitter also ended the 2022 season with 405 kills.

In the past nine games, Larregui López has recorded 20 service aces and she was also named the IUPUI Hampton Inn Invite’s Most Valuable Player.

Larregui López recorded 33 kills, 14 service aces and 24 digs on a .353 hitting percentage at the IUPUI Invite.

1. Sophomore Catalina Rochaix has over 1,000 assists in less than two full seasons.

Rochaix currently has a total of 306 assists in the 2023 season. The setter ended the 2022 season with 769 assists.

In the past nine games, Rochaix has recorded 53 digs and eight service aces.

1. Senior Christina Martinez Mundo currently has 1,000 digs recorded throughout her career with the Panthers.

Martinez Mundo currently has an exact 1,000 digs with Eastern. The defensive specialist/libero has recorded 172 digs throughout the past nine games.

Martinez Mundo was named to the All-Tournament Team for the past two tournaments: the IUPUI Hampton Inn Invite and the Southern Illinois Saluki Bash.

1. Freshman Julia Stanev recorded 30 blocks in nine games.

Stanev has also recorded 19 kills for Eastern. The middle blocker from Reggio Emilia, Italy, is currently leading the Panthers in blocks.

Stanev has recorded at least two blocks per game. Stanev’s career high in total blocks is seven against Valparaiso.

1. Eastern continues to record high stats in the nation.

The Panthers are third in the nation for aces per set with 2.59 aces per set. Eastern has recorded 83 aces in a span of 32 sets.

Eastern is also ranked 38th in the nation for assists per set with 12.66 per set.

The Panthers are ranked 13th in the nation for their hitting percentage in their last nine games. Eastern’s hitting percentage is .298%.

The Panthers are ranked 42nd in the nation for kills per set with 13.56 kills per set. Eastern has had a total of 434 kills in 32 sets.

The Panthers have two more non-conference games as they compete against the University of Missouri on Thursday and Friday.

Eastern’s game on Thursday is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. at Lantz Arena, and Friday’s game is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. at Lantz Arena.

Zaria Flippin can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].