Smoke sensor activated in Lawson Hall

Firefighter using the Knox system on Tuesday, Sept. 5. outside of Lawson Hall at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Ill.

Charleston firefighter paramedics, with assistance from EIU Police Department, responded at approximately 7:30 p.m. to an activated fire alarm at Lawson Hall.

Residents evacuated the building prior to the arrival of first responders as advised by the announcement that was played throughout the building.

Lawson is equipped with a fire alarm system that incorporates a digital siren sound effect as well as verbal instructions to occupants of the building. The audible alert advised residents to evacuate the building and make way to the South Quad.

Engine 307 and Truck 309 arrived on scene at approximately 7:36 p.m. Other Charleston Fire apparatus arrived shortly thereafter.

Firefighters, dressed in turnout gear, utilized a Knox Box to gain access to the building. A knox box is a system that first responders can use to gain access to a locked building in an emergency.

According to the Knox Box website, “Trusted by thousands of fire and law enforcement agencies for over 40 years, Knox Rapid Access Solutions have provided first responders with immediate access into secure buildings, campuses, residences and commercial properties when it matters most.”

A firefighter checked the alarm panel and notified other responders of an activated smoke detector on the third floor of the building.

A little over a minute later, a firefighter, via radio, advised other units on scene that they could clear the incident and that the alarm was caused by burnt food.

All Charleston Fire apparatus cleared the scene by about 7:48 p.m.

An electrician arrived on scene shortly after in order to service the alarm system.

T.J. Seputis can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].