BSU concludes welcome events with Kickin it On the Quad

Ashanti Thomas
Shay Edmond, a senior sociology major, plays volleyball in the South Quad as one of the activities for Black Student Union’s Kickin’ It On the Quad field day event Wednesday evening.
Cortiz Stewart, a freshman business communications major, tries to pull a block from the tumbling towers game while his friend Milton Dowell watches, during the Black Student Union kicking it on the quad Field Day Wednesday afternoon. (Tyriq Johnson)

On Wednesday August 30, 2023, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., the Black Student Union concluded a week’s worth of welcome events by hosting “Kickin’ it On the Quad”, an event located on the south quad of campus.

The organizers set up oversized games such as bowling, Connect Four, mock axe throwing, yard pong, corn hole and more.

As the evening went on, attendance increased and there was a healthy crowd of students participating. Many smiles could be seen and there was a sense of good spirit in the air as students rivaled each other in the yard games.

This year was the organization’s first time running the BSU Welcome Week. According to BSU Vice President Hannah Lawrence, a junior nursing major, welcome week was designed to “ …bring the school year in right and have a week full of events for students to not only have fun, but understand what BSU does on campus and what we’re here for.”

Lawrence said that other welcome week activities included a party at the student union, a free bowling party and a panel targeted for freshmen. She hopes the BSU will gain visibility from Wednesday’s event and was pleased with the turnout on the quad and at other Welcome Week events.

Lawrence said the organization has had a lot of freshmen reach out to inquire about joining. Students that want to join the Black Student Union can go to the Student Life Office in the union building. Members must pay dues of $10 per semester; in return, they get a free shirt, access to all of BSU’s events, and leadership and event planning opportunities.

The organization’s first meeting is Sept. 11 at 6 p.m. in the Martin Luther Jr. University Union.
This semester, Lawrence hopes to incorporate field trips in the list of the group’s activities.

“We want to do more to not only bring students together on campus, but also allow them to experience things that are going around in Charleston and its surrounding areas,” Lawrence said.

Aniyah Smith, a junior psychology major reflected on what BSU offers.

“It’s a home for the black students on campus to get together and talk about whatever we need to within the black community,” Smith said.

Edmond Davis, a freshman education major, tries to throw multiple axes at target during the Black Student Union kicking it on the quad Field Day Wednesday afternoon. (Tyriq Johnson)

Aniyah’s favorite activities at Wednesday’s event were the ax throwing and the oversized Connect Four game.

BSU member Kenneth Marshall, a senior majoring in kinesiology and a member and chapter basileus of the Omega Psi Phi fraternity, was also in attendance at “Kickin It on The Quad.”

Marshall said, “I heard a lot of good things about it but, it wasn’t until I experienced it for myself, I was like man, is [sic] actually people I can relate to. We’re having conversations about topics that matter in society. It was just a good environment to be around.”

Kenneth’s favorite game at Wednesday’s event was the oversized Connect Four game.

T.J. Seputis can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].