Panthers look to continue domination in next tournament

Ashanti Thomas
Sophomore Catalina Rochaix (9) sets the ball in the air during EIU volleyball’s game against Valparaiso. The Panthers won 3-2 against the Beacons Friday night in Lantz Arena.

The Panthers volleyball team started their season strong with three wins in the EIU Panther Classic.

The Panthers look to continue their success this weekend at the IUPUI Holiday Inn Invite in Indianapolis, IN.

In practice, the girls are staying focused and making sure they are ready for the tournament.

“I think we are going to do a great weekend as a team,” sophomore setter Catalina Rochaix said. “We are practicing a lot for that weekend, and we put focus in anything that we have to improve so I’m so excited for that.”

The IUPUI Invite includes opponents outside of the Ohio Valley Conference.
Eastern will play against Oral Roberts and UC Riverside on Friday, and they will finish against IUPUI on Saturday.

“I’m excited to continue to face some challenging opponents and to keep getting better as a team and keep building our team chemistry,” graduate outside/opposite hitter Natalie Mitchem said. “I’m excited to keep having more opportunities to play with these girls.”

With their 3-0 run this past weekend, the team is aware they can’t get too comfortable, and they continue to improve.

“It’s about taking it day by day and not thinking so much about what you can do or what you already did,” senior defensive specialist/libero Christina Martinez Mundo said.

The Panthers know that to continue their early success, team chemistry is a big factor.

Team chemistry can make or break a team, and the Panthers want to keep building the bond between players through every game and practice they have.

“I think [team chemistry] is the key this year,” Martinez Mundo said. “The trust, the chemistry, and how naturally it comes for all of us to just flow in the court and trust each other with the feedback.”

The team is excited for this weekend, but at the same time, they know how important it is to keep working.

Mitchem said that the team’s consistency was something that could be worked on from game to game.

“I think we’ve been up and down a few of those games, but ultimately, we did come out with the win,” Mitchem said.

The Panthers know what they need to do to continue their success this weekend and are continuing the work to do so.

Patrick Schmitz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].