Students have mixed feelings after one day of classes

Amairany Bueno Benitez, a junior marketing major poses at Eastern’s First Day of Class Photos at the Library Quad. (Cam’ron Hardy)

Coming into the new school year students may be feeling many emotions. Some are anxious to meet new people and nervous about the different schedule, while others are ecstatic for this school year, ready for the new class of students to get involved and do more things. 

Starting college can be a daunting experience, and it’s completely normal to feel nervous or anxious about it. It is a major life transition, and you may be worried about adjusting to a new environment, making new friends, and handling the academic workload.

First day of class were nerve-wracking for Cassandra Augliera, a freshman undeclared student. Augliera did not know what to expect and adjusting to the different schedule for college rather than high school. Many students may be  filled with a sense of anticipation as they step onto campus, surrounded by unfamiliar faces and buildings.

“I mean, at first I was a little nervous to come down here because I was three hours away.” Augliera said. “Meeting new people, having new experiences and figuring out what I want to do in life.”

Coming to college marks the beginning of a new chapter in students’ lives, filled with new opportunities and challenges. College students may feel overwhelmed by the sheer size of the campus or the number of students, but everyone else is in the same boat. 

The first day of college is a chance to explore, meet new people and start building a foundation for the next few years of life. With an open mind and a positive attitude, the first day of college can be a memorable and rewarding experience.

College is a major step in a young person’s life but unfortunately, many students are not excited to start this new chapter. There are a variety of reasons why students may not be excited for college. 

One reason may be that they feel overwhelmed by the prospect of leaving home and being independent for the first time. Another reason may be that they are unsure of what they want to study, or they have doubts about their ability to succeed in college.

After Eastern’s welcome weekend, many students were not prepared for the school year to start right away. They did not expect it to come by so quickly after just unpacking for the next 9 months of their lives. 

With the heat rising and the first day of classes, it was already too much for Asbriel Bramscoab, a freshman pre vet major, as she took on her first day of class. 

“It’s a lot but I want to see myself go up in my grades” Bramscoab said. “ I want to push myself this semester [and] others to come, but also have a good time.”

A particular way to push yourself in college is to take advantage of all the opportunities that are available to you. Whether it be joining a club, taking on a leadership role, or pursuing a challenging academic program. By doing so, it can provide valuable experience that will help in the future and in life.

“Being a part of so many organizations over the years,  I feel like we got a lot on our sleeves, especially NPHC there’s a lot of Greek unity going on,” Brianna Hull, a senior political science major said. 

Leadership roles can be found in a variety of settings, such as student government, sports teams, and academic organizations. These positions allow people to develop skills such as communication, problem-solving and decision-making. Additionally, they provide opportunities to work with others and build your network.

“Get out there and get involved. It doesn’t have to be an exec position.” Hull said. “You want to have fun with your friends when you go outside but you also want to make an impact on your campus. Something that you could remember and you might become and do something that you never imagined” 

Payton Liggins can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]