EIU provides students with a wealth of resources

Java+Beanery+%26+Bakery+is+an+on-campus+cafe+which+is+open+from+7%3A30+a.m.+to+5+p.m.+on+Monday+through+Thursday+and+7%3A30+a.m.+to+4%3A30+p.m.+on+Fridays.+The+cafe+is+closed+on+Saturday+and+Sunday.+
Ashanti Thomas
Java Beanery & Bakery is an on-campus cafe which is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Fridays. The cafe is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Every student new or returning is eligible for the abundance of resources Eastern provides to ensure that campus feels like home. Taking advantage of these opportunities, services and resources can help students excel in classes and ease any nerves that come with the back-to-school season.

The Martin Luther King Jr. University Union strives to provide services that cater to all students’ needs. The Union is home to the bookstore, hair salon, B&B Java, EIU Lanes, Panther Pantry, Panther Print and Copy Center and much more.

The bookstore is located on the first floor of the Union, on the east side, and is a student’s one-stop-shop for all academic needs. They carry EIU merchandise as well as school and art supplies, posters, gift cards and many other useful products to help students prepare for returning to class.

The bookstore is open Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m.to 5 p.m., Friday: 8 a.m.to 4:30 p.m., Saturday: 9 a.m.to 3 p.m., and closed on Sunday. For further information on the bookstore, call 1-217-581-5821 or email [email protected].

Eastern’s Panther Pantry provides snacks and drinks for students needing some fuel to get through their classes. Being a college student can lead to a very hectic schedule that one must adapt to.

Those in a rush can find convenience in the array of breakfast and snack foods provided by the Panther Pantry. The pantry is open Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. and closed Saturday-Sunday.

As a college student, it is critical to add some socializing and fun to the busy schedule.

It can be difficult to take some time away from school work to hangout with friends, which is why Eastern’s Union is also home to bowling lanes.

EIU Lanes invites students, faculty and the community to take a break from all their hard work at a very affordable price. The bowling alley offers pool, arcade games and TV. Student leagues are also held at EIU Lanes every fall and spring. EIU Lanes is open Friday- Saturday: 4 p.m.- 10 p.m. and Sunday: 4 p.m.- 9 p.m.

The Panther Shuttle provides accessible transportation to students, faculty and members of the community. The routes of the shuttle can be viewed on EIU’s website.

The shuttle is available all days of the week. Any questions regarding the shuttle may be directed at 217-581-3213.

College can be hard for many college students, mentally and physically. EIU’s Sarah Bush Lincoln, SBL, health and counseling medic clinic makes help easily accessible to students. The clinic pledges that its mission is “to address health and wellness needs which impact the ability of our students to be successful in and out of the classroom through a variety of individual, interpersonal, population, and environmental methods and strategies which focus on health promotion, prevention, consultation, intervention, treatment, aftercare, and recovery.”

In pursuit of accomplishing their mission, the SBL clinic provides many services to all students, such as, sexually transmitted infection screenings, pap exams, x-rays, lab services and much more. Free flu shots are also accessible to students. However, the dates for future flu vaccination clinics have not yet been released. The clinic is open daily from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

For more information regarding student resources and services, visit their website.

Audra Gullquist can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]