Booth Library hosts first research event

Kaylee Yeakel, Reporter

Booth Library hosts research event. (Rob Le Cates)

Goody bags, research help, and free coffee pulled in over a dozen students to the event at Booth Library on Monday evening. The Writing Center, TRiO, and other student support offices partnered together to put on “Write Night and Study Buddies” on the first floor of the library.

This was the first of two study events that the library plans to put on this semester. The second one will take place on April 4 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the first floor of the library. The same resources and treats will be offered.

The library’s goal with this event was to bring students together to a common place where they can receive help on any research or projects. They understand that this is the time when a lot of final projects and papers are starting and that it might be stressful. They knew that offering a space with essentially unlimited resources might be helpful.

Faculty members and librarians walked around and asked questions to make sure everything was okay.

Emma Lee, a junior and elementary education major said, “I felt very welcomed and cared for by the people there. I didn’t feel pressured or like someone was looking over my shoulder. They made me feel comfortable. If I had a question, they answered it well.”

They not only had the Atrium open for students but also the Center for Student Innovation. The Atrium provides an atmosphere that makes writing and researching much easier. The Center for Student Innovation has lots of resources within it. There are printers and studios that students can use for projects or for personal use. They also provide flexible seating and alternative learning opportunities.

The Library Ambassadors of Booth put together goody bags for everyone who signed into the event. They nicknamed it “School Supply Kits.” In them, there were pencils, pens, paper, candy and other items for the school year.

Lee said, “The bags were a nice surprise. Little acts of kindness like that prove to me that my school cares about its students.”

Many students used this event as an opportunity to get research help, but a lot of them used it as an opportunity to meet new people.

Abigail McBride, a freshman and psychology major, went there to work on her history homework but instead made some new friends.

“They invited me to sit with them at their table and we just kind of hit it off,” McBride said. “They tried to help me with my homework, but we really just talked the whole time. We all agreed that we would come back next week.”

For more information or any further questions, contact Amy Odwarka at [email protected] or at 217 581-6006.

Kaylee Yeakel can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].