CAA approves multiple new courses

Cam'ron Hardy, News Editor

Marita Gronnvoll is the chair of the Council on Academic Affairs and is a communication studies professor. The council discussed the new governance proposal that came from the Faculty Senate’s last meeting at its Oct. 18 meeting.
 CAA met Thursday at 2 p.m. to approve revisions and new courses. (Brooke Schwartz)

The Council in Academic Affairs met on Thursday to discuss revisions and approvals of new courses.

They approved the revisions of Planning Health Program, PUBH 4250, which is a course designed to provide the students with element of successful program planning.

A new course was approved for the Communication major. The class will be called “Topics in Episodic Television Production & Filmmaking,” or for short “Topics in Episodic TV & Film.”

The class will allow students to produce episodes of a form chosen by the professor in groups.

Revisions were approved for the television and video production major. More classes will be added including:

• CMN 4755: Television Genres Production & Development to the required courses list,
  • CMN 4751: Topics in Episodic Television Production & Filmmaking to the required courses list,
  • Combined the two elective areas (Areas of Specialization / Skills & Interest) and
    reduced the number of hours of six in each (12 hours total) down to nine hours in the
    single electives area (now called “Skills & Interests),
  • Moved CMN 2520: Introduction to Mass Communication to the electives section.
    With the addition of the two upper-division production courses, 2520 will be moved to the electives section,
  • Provided students with the choice between THA 2244: Acting I or THA 2211:
    Stagecraft,
  • Reduce the number of CMN 4275: Internship hours from three credits to two
    credits,
  • Added THA, DGT, and ENG courses to the list of electives.

Revisions were also approved for the video production minor. The total semester hours will decrease from 22 hours to 19 hours and the decrease of required courses. It is was 13 hours of required courses, but has been changed to 10 hours.

The revision of ECN 3801 (formerly ECN 4801), Intermediate Macroeconomics were also approved. The course is an analysis of the determination of national income, employment, wages, and factors affecting inflation and growth.

Revisions were also approved for ECN 3802 (formerly ECN 4802), Intermediate Microeconomics. This class will be an examination of the role of prices in determining the allocation of resources, the forces governing the consumption and production of economic goods, the performance of the firm, and the efficiency implication of alternatives market structures and government policies.

New Course, ECN 3861 International Financial Economics was approved. The course introduces students to four main areas in international financial economics:

• Money and exchange rates,
  • Techniques for managing exchange-rate risk,
  • Balance of payments accounting,
  • Relevant government policy.

Revisions were made in the Economics: International Studies Program in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Changes include:

• Eliminate the GPA requirement for admission to the ECN major,
  • ECN 3860 has been renamed International Trade,
  • ECN 3861 is a new course that will be required for this option,
  • ECN 3801 and ECN 3802 have been renumbered and renamed,
  • ECN 4689 has been renamed as the Economics Research Capstone,
  • Adding BUS 1950 as a requirement for the ECN major,
  • Replacing ECN 3971 as a requirement with either BUS 2810 (or MAT 3702),
  • Eliminated FIN 4820 as an elective for this option.

Changes were approved in the Economics Bachelor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Changes include:

• Eliminate the GPA requirement for admission to the ECN major.
  • ECN 3801 and ECN 3802 have been renumbered and renamed.
  • ECN 4689 has been renamed as the Economics Research Capstone.
  • Adding BUS 1950 as a requirement for the ECN major.
  • Replacing ECN 3971 as a requirement with either BUS 2810 (or MAT 3701).
  • Cleaning up the language in footnotes

Changes were also made for the Economics Minor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Changes include:

• Revision of footnotes regarding no reference need to be made for ECN 3971 any longer.
  • ECN 3801 and ECN 3802 are new course numbers for our intermediate economics
    courses.

Revisions for courses PHY-1071 AND PHY 1072 were tabled for a later discussion.

Revisions were approved for the change in curriculum course breadth requirement. The main change was the language that was used in the description of the premodern global studies minor.

A new course, Introduction to Botany, was approved for the biological sciences department. The course will be an introduction to the study of plants and fungi with an emphasis on the study of functional evolutionary processes in botany.

A new zoology course was approved at the meeting as well..

The course will be an introduction to the study of animals fro students majoring in Biological Sciences.

Changes were approved for the biological sciences major.

Changes include:

• Add a 4 credit hour course, from a choice of three courses (BIO 3300 Microbiology, BIO 3330 Botany or BIO 3340 Zoology), to the required core biology sequence in the Biological Sciences major. The Botany and Zoology courses are currently being proposed as new courses in conjunction with this program revision proposal, with the microbiology course already being offered each FA and Semester,
  • Decrease the 21 of elective course work that must be in Biological Sciences from 15 to 14 credithours, thereby increasing the non-BI science coursework allow from 6 to 7 hours.

New Journalism Internship 1, 2, 3 and 4 course was approved. The courses will allow students to experience in a media organization or in a related professional journalism environment.

Changes were also made in the journalism department were approved.

HIS 3940: History of American Journalism was deleted from the catalog and JOU 3940 History of American Journalism is to take its place.

HIS 3940: History of American Journalism was deleted from the Liberal Arts Required Coursework section and the number of hours in the journalism major will be reduced from 9 to 6.

JOU 3940: History of American Journalism will be added to the Division of Journalism Core section and increasing the number of hours in the journalism major from 36 to 39 hours.

The revision of the college composition studio was approved. The course will allow students practice and instruction in the development of an individualized process of preparing a paper.

Revisions were approved in the contemporary topics in criminology and criminal justice course. The course provides opportunities for the integration and synthesis of theory, research and concepts learned in the criminology and criminal justice major.

Revisions were approved in the current issues in sociology course which is an analysis of selected current social problems.

Revisions were also approved in the navigating the music major course. The course is a weekly seminar introducing music majors to the necessary skills for success in their degree program. Topics include resources on campus, practice skills, time management, performance anxiety, and professional expectations.

Cam’ron Hardy can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].