Alpha Phi Alpha to host Sneakerball

Cam'ron Hardy, News Editor

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., will be hosting a sneaker ball event Saturday in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union from 7:06 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Sneakers are a huge topic in pop culture. Many outlets such as films, sports, music, television shows and more have all been the sneaker topics for decades.

For example, a famous pair of shoes in the sneaker community is the Nike Air Mags, which are an extravagant pair of shoes that are inspired from the film Back to the Future which have lights and auto-lacing laces. The price for this pair of shoes can range from $30,000-$100,000.

Former basketball player, Michal Jordan, has popularized sneakers while he was in the NBA. His first signature show was unveiled in 1985 called, “Air Jordan 1.”

He has changed the sneaker culture. Since his first shoe, he has created his own sneaker brand and created hundreds of sneakers. There are events called Sneaker Con where sneaker collectors can gather and trade and buy sneakers.

Sneakers also have a huge influence on fashion. There are multiple fashion shows throughout years which have presented upcoming sneakers.

The dress code for the Sneakerball is formal with sneakers. Tickets will cost $15 at the door.

Awards for the best dressed female, best dressed male, and best sneakers will be presented. There will also be a 360° camera, which spins in a circle and captures people standing in one position.

Refreshments and food will be served at the event as well.

Students that choose to attend will have the opportunity to show each other their outfits and enjoy the environment together.

Cam’ron Hardy can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].