3 vs. 3 tournament to help fundraise for club volleyball

Adriana Hernadez-Santana, Feature Junior Editor

As most sports teams are finishing up practice for the night, Eastern’s Club Volleyball team is preparing the SRC Court for tomorrow’s 3 vs. 3 volleyball tournament. 

The former secretary, now volleyball President Marisa Rush, said that not many people know about the club.

But they need to raise money in order to pay for their two teams to travel to other schools such as University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and Indiana State. 

While doing food stands is always an option, most of the team members live in the dorms. And bracelet making can be fun, but also time-consuming. 

In response, the team has decided to host a tournament to help raise the money. 

Not only does this fundraiser help out the club, but it is also a great way to invite students to come out with their friends to have some fun!

“[I want to] get other people, on campus, involved because a lot of people don’t realize that we have a club team,” Rush said. “It gives everyone else something to do while also helping us be able to travel for our tournaments. 

One thing is for sure though; she is extremely excited about the turnout for tomorrow. If all goes well, this may even become the new fundraising tradition for the club team. 

“I have 12 teams for tomorrow, which is honestly a few more than I expected.. I think twelve is a good start because I’ve never ran one so I think this is a good amount to get used to,” she says. 

The team registration is $15 per team. If 12 teams did sign up, that makes it a total of $180!

One of Rush’s favorite things about volleyball is to see all the different students come out to play. She admits to even seeing some of the football team members or other sports teams come to play. 

She says that it’s a great sport to try something new and very fun to do with friends. 

Even though there may not be a trophy for the winners this year, they will be awarded team merchandise and champion 3 vs. 3 volleyball shirts. 

Adriana Hernandez-Santana can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].