BOT grants Glassman emeritus title, approves personnel contract post-retiring

Ashanti Thomas

President Glassman address his presidential report which includes the Panther Portal Overview and Living Learning Communities in the Grand Ballroom of Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Madelyn Kidd, Editor-in-Chief

University President David Glassman’s personnel contract for his time as a tenured professor following retirement, a nine-month salary for $160K, was approved by the Board of Trustees on Friday.

Glassman is set to retire on June 30 and becoming a tenured professor in the Department of Anthropology.

The Board approved a monthly salary of $17,777.78 for Glassman for a nine-month contract.

Glassman begins the nine-month contract after an administrative leave in July and August.

For the fiscal year 2021, Glassman made $325,412 that year and was the highest salary at Eastern.

Glassman had a 62 percent increase in salary compared to the second highest salary.

In total from this nine-month salary, Glassman would be listed as the tenth highest salary compared to the top 10 salaries from 2021.

In total for fiscal year 2024, Glassman’s salary will be $160,000.02. This is a decrease of just over half of his 2021 salary.

The Board approved granting Glassman an emeritus professor title upon his retirement at the end of June.

Former University President Louis Hencken was given an honorary degree at the recommendation of Glassman, which was approved by the Board.

Hencken was granted an honorary doctorate degree in public service.

The Board approved the agreement between Eastern and Sarah Bush Lincoln Hospital for Sarah Bush to manage and provide healthcare services for students through Eastern’s health center. 

Services through the center include pharmacy, laboratory and radiology. 

The university will have to pay $980,000 plus reimbursement for service charges billed to students for services.

The agreement goes into effect starting May 22 and until June 30, 2026.

Eastern has reported increases in financial aid compared from fiscal year 2021 to fiscal year 2022.

The total number of financial aid recipients increased by 5.46%, percentage of enrollment receiving aid increased by 5.2%, total amount received for financial aid increased by 6.1% and the average amount of aid received by each recipient increased by 0.61%.

One summary of a purchase was presented to the Board for $142,378 to Springfield Electric Supply Co. for an emergency power transfer switch.

The deposit and investment report presented during the meeting based on the numbers on Dec. 31. Eastern has had a $805,519.09 total interest earned on investments based on the quarterly report and over $1.2 million interest earned on the year to date interest report.

The total cash balance as of Dec. 31 was $91,947,799.32.

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].