CAA approves courses, revision to sport, recreation management program

Ronnie Kosciuk

Eastern’s Council of Academic Affairs Chair Marita Gronnvoll speaks during the meeting on Sept. 22 in the Witters Conference Room in Booth Library.

Madelyn Kidd, News Editor

The Council of Academic Affairs unanimously approved a new course Sport and Recreation Program Planning, KSR-3290, on Thursday.

The three credit hour course is planned to be offered in the fall and spring semesters, but will not be initially offered until the fall 2023 semester.

The course will focus on the development of sport and recreation programming including planning, scheduling, staffing and supervision, publicity, event management and evaluation.

It will also include topics on marginalized populations, conflict resolution, risk management and community development.

Following approval, the course, REC-2290 Programming for Leisure Activities, will be removed from the catalog.

KSR-1500 Kinesiology, Sport and Recreation as a Profession is a prerequisite for the new course.

This course proposal provides an update and adaptation of the REC-2290 Programming for Leisure Agencies course for the updated sport management major, as a result of the merger of the program with the recreation management program. 

The previous sport management undergraduate program did not include a course on program planning.

Another new course, KSR-4600 Planning, Design and Operation of Sport and Recreation Facilities, was unanimously approved with revision as another required course for students in the sport and recreation management program.

This course has required prerequisites for the previously approved course.

The four credit hour course covers understanding major planning, design and operational principles used in the development and maintenance of sport, recreation and park facilities.

This course is planned to be offered during fall semester, first offered in the fall 2023 semester.

Following approval of this course, the course REC-4600 Planning and Design of Leisure Facilities will be removed from the catalog.

CAA unanimously approved revisions to the sport and recreation management undergraduate program.

The revisions incorporate the former recreation administration program being combined with the sport management program. 

This includes changes to the name of the sport management program to the sport and recreation management program. 

There were also changes to the curriculum for the program.

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].