Student Senate reaches quorum, approves Prestigious Pantherettes

Robert Le Cates

Student Senate Speaker Jasmine Yusef, a senior English major, announces the committees senators are on during the Senate’s first meeting on Sept. 7 in the Arcola Room at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union on the Eastern Illinois University campus in Charleston, Ill.

Katja Benz, Student Government Reporter

After three consecutive meetings, Student Senate has reached quorum for only the sixth time of 11 scheduled meetings.

The senate had 15 senators present, which includes the two new senators they swore in that day: Carlos Rodriguez, a freshman English major, and Onyekachi Okoh, a broadcast journalism major.

Two organizations got approved as well: the Prestigious Pantherettes and Eastern’s chapter of Society of Women Engineers. Both organizations were unanimously approved.

While the Pantherettes are a newly Registered Student Organization, RSO, they are hoping to eventually become an athletic team and perform at sporting events and competitions.

The organization is holding auditions Dec. 4. There is a $50 fee to be on the team, which will help the organization pay for uniforms and help get the organization get started and built from the ground up. The organization’s try-outs are open to all students.

The organization also wants to help students feel relaxed and help them cope with stress while exposing them to a wide variety of dance genres. Aside from performing at events and competitions, the organization wants to expose students to different types of dance.

Asianna Martin, a senior public relations major, and Kyia George, a junior exercise science major, gave the presentation for the Prestigious Pantherettes. Martin said that it can also help students feel relaxed.

“This can be a way for people, as a therapeutic outlet, to come and let off cope,” Martin said. “This could be a healthy method for people to cope with their mental health to feel much better. So we want to use this as a therapeutic outlet and to include everyone into enjoying all types of styles of dance.”

The Society of Women Engineers is an international organization that helps promote women in STEM fields and helps lower barriers for women in the field. Many colleges and universities across the world have chapters.

There are awards and scholarships that can be given to women in the chapters. There are also a variety of conferences that members can attend.

Eric Davidson, the executive director of the health and counseling services, gave a presentation during the meeting.

The presentation detailed the changes that would be happening to the medical clinic and the pharmacy.

Davidson confirmed that the on campus pharmacy closed in September. Davidson added that students were either able to pick up prescriptions at Sarah Bush Lincoln hospital or have them delivered to the university.

Students with the student insurance provided by Eastern will not be going away. Students can still use the insurance provided by Eastern.

While Sarah Bush Lincoln will accept both the student insurance provided and third party insurance. If students have third party insurance, that will be billed whereas if Eastern’s student insurance is used, then if the student owes money for prescriptions, tests, or other things, then they will be billed the leftover money that the insurance will not cover.

The medical clinic would also be overseen by Sarah Bush Lincoln. There will be nurse practitioners on staff.

Katja Benz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].