I am excited to cover women’s basketball this season

Kate+Stevens+is+a+senior+sports+media+relations+major.+and+can+be+reached+at+217-581-2812.+

Kate Stevens is a senior sports media relations major. and can be reached at 217-581-2812.

Kate Stevens, Assistant Sports Editor

Basketball season is one of the best seasons when it comes to sports.

As I am relatively new here at the Daily Eastern News, it is my first year covering women’s basketball. 

I’m excited to see what the teams here at Eastern have to offer this season. The women’s basketball team had an amazing season last year and I am looking forward to seeing what they will accomplish this season.

There were some exciting moves made in the offseason with the addition of three new freshmen as well as the transfers from UW-Milwaukee and DePaul. 

I am looking forward to seeing these additions play as Panthers this season.

I also like the coaching additions that head coach Matt Bollant made during the offseason. 

New assistant Mariah King is a former EIU player who has been playing overseas for the last nine seasons and this is her first time as a collegiate coach.

She helped lead EIU to four straight postseasons in her time at Eastern in 2010-2013. I feel as though her stats and accomplishments resemble current player senior Lariah Washington, so having her help coach Washington in her senior year will be something great to watch.

The other new addition is assistant coach Marqus McGlothan. He brings a ton of coaching experience as he is also the founder of Minnesota basketball training facilities in both St. Paul and Minneapolis. 

Both Washington and sophomore guard Julia Bengston trained with him in the offseason, so they already have gotten to know each other.

With all the excitement coming into the season, I feel like this team is coming into the season with a chip on their shoulders because of that tough loss to Tennessee State in the OVC tournament last year. I just feel that this team is going to be so amazing to witness and give the rest of the OVC a run for its money.

Basketball season is truly one of the best as the games bring so much fun and excitement to campus. 

As football, soccer, volleyball, cross country, tennis, and golf fall seasons come to an end, it’s time for winter sports!

Make sure you all come out to the exhibition game this coming Thursday and Monday evening to officially kick off this season!

Kate Stevens can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]