2022 Homecoming Court crowned Monday night

Members of the 2022 Homecoming Court pose for a royalty court photo after the Homecoming Coronation Ceremony at the Grand Ballroom in the Union Monday evening.

Katja Benz, Student Government Reporter

Nile Hile, a senior business management major, and Jaedah Franks, a junior biology major, became Eastern’s 2022 Homecoming King and Queen on Monday night.

In the Grand Ballroom to begin the 2022 Homecoming Week, the 2022 Homecoming Court was crowned Monday night including a King, Queen, Prince, Princess, Faculty/Staff Lord and Lady, and a Little Prince and Princess.

Hill, who represented Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., said he felt humbled to win Homecoming King and wanted to continue the tradition of a member of his fraternity to win Homecoming King.

Last year’s Homecoming King, Jeremiah Boyd-Johnson, also represented Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

“I want to keep the tradition going, so I’m very humbled to be picked and voted on by everybody,” Hill said. “So I thank everyone who voted for me… It’s a good experience, so happy to be a part of it.”

Hill thinks that everyone has a voice on campus, and it is important to have one.

“It’s important to know that everybody has a fair chance, everyone has a voice,” Hill said. “We have a presence here on campus, and that we’re doing pretty well.”

Homecoming Queen Jaedah Franks, a junior biological sciences major, and King Nile Hill, a senior management major, pose for a picture with sorority and fraternity siblings after the Homecoming Coronation Ceremony at the Grand Ballroom in the Union Monday evening. (Hannah Fergurson)

Franks, who won Homecoming Princess in the 2021 Homecoming Court and 2022 Miss Black EIU, represented Black Student Union at this year’s Homecoming coronation.

“It feels surreal,” Franks said. “After you win one time, you think the second time ‘I might not win the second time’ but I feel like honestly praying and believing in myself and also having my sorority sisters, my fraternity brother, always encouraging me.”

Garrett Wilkin, a sophomore kinesiology major, and Anahi Osorio, a junior exercise science major, were crowned as the 2022 Homecoming Prince and Princess.

Wilkin, who represented Sigma Phi Epsilon, said that winning Homecoming Prince was a great experience.

“I’m happy,” Wilkin said. “I mean, [it’s] just [a] cool experience. I enjoy just Hoco and all the events that go on I just like to see campus active people out.”

Wilkin said that getting himself involved in many campus activities helped him be nominated in the first place.

“I think just how I like to be out there and do a lot of things,” Wilkin said. “I like to volunteer. I’m an assistant wrestling coach for Charleston. I volunteer a lot of training stuff. I’m doing multiple clubs and just being active.”

Osorio put herself out there as well. She represented the Campus Recreation Center and is a fitness instructor.

“Something to take away is like I said, getting out of your comfort zone and being yourself,” Osorio said. “Don’t let anything come in between you and your success and you’re trying to get out of your comfort zone. So that’s one thing.”

Brittany Tierney, the associate director of admissions, and Gary Bulla, a biological sciences department chair and professor, were crowned Homecoming Faculty/Staff Lady and Lord respectively.

“I just it’s really exciting to see the students out and kind of back to the excitement of campus and for everyone to just be having a really nice time to kick off Homecoming,” Tierney said. “And I want to shout out Ashley and the entire homecoming committee for all the work that they’ve done to make this happen. They’re doing a great job.”

“It’s a nice honor… And I don’t know who nominated me or any of that,” Bulla said. “So, it’s an honor to be nominated.”

Four-year-old Lily Morris tightly hugs her newly won squishmallow Karina showing the 2022 Homecoming Lord Gary Bulla after being crowned as the Homecoming 2022 Little Princess at the Homecoming Coronation Ceremony at the Grand Ballroom in the Union Monday evening. (Rob Le Cates)

Tierney’s son, Clayton and Lily Morris, the daughter of geology and geography department office manager Amy Morris, were crowned the 2022 Homecoming Prince and Princess. 

They are both excited about the parade, and Morris enjoyed getting her crown.

Cam’ron Hardy, Kyara Morales-Rodriguez and Drew Coffey contributed to this article.

Katja Benz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].